The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just gota call from my dealer they were doing a inspection & say my platform auger is bent on my 930f .They said a new auger $3500 I didnt realize it was bent so it cant be tobad .we ran some drift wood in it this fall & finished harvest with it it worked .Ive heard some welding shops can straiten em like montuzuma ks . is it worth the try Im on the eaqst side of ks but I could bdrive it out there for that kinda of money .
anybody experince & recommendations are appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: BENT AUGER PLATFORM REPAIR ?

We got a rider on our insurance this summer for foreign object ingestion. It cost $125 for $10,000 coverage. We ran a rock in it doing beans, did @ $12,000 damage. Got a check for $10,000. One of my better investments along with crop insurance this year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I just talked to montezuma mfg ks .& they said for ballpark for $200 they could straighten it back to deere specs (1/4") & if my center is in bad shape $1400 put in a new center which is a gauge heavier than deere .Sounds like its worth the 7 hr drive

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Check out changing your insurance to Farm Bureau. They offer ingestion coverage, not just for combines, but it also covers things like swathers and forage harvesters.

·
Registered
23 Posts

There is "bent" and then there is "bent". You said you finished last season without noticing it and I dont know how many acres that was, but I bet there are alot of other platform augers that are "bent" as much or more than your. If its not noticeable, Id try running it the way it is. Maybe have a spare end bearing on hand.

·
Registered
486 Posts

you can fix it relatively easy yourself you know. put the header on the ground. find the top dead center of the bend and position it at 180 degrees from the center top beam where the feeder house hooks up. grab 3 blocks of wood and a chain and wrap the chain around the auger and the top beam and hook the end together. use a crowbar to twist the chain and pull the bend out of the auger.

make sure you use the blocks of wood to support the chain on the auger otherwise you will damage it

·
Registered
48 Posts

I have a 2004 635F and my auger was bent slightly I ran it then I got a hair line crack then it split open, not pretty, JD had a recall so they are replacing luckly but look down from the side while the head is running if there is a wallop I would try to straighten it out before it stresses and starts to crack. We did what rubber ducky did but we used a small floor jack under the auger but we pushed it together welded it and it ran for another 300 acres until it split open down further on head, it just stressed it too much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

montezuma said they put it in a jig then use heat n cooling to straighten it out out so it should relive some of the metal stress.
Thanks for all the suggestions !

·
Registered
76 Posts

I have straightened many a warped auger by turning the bow down and then heating the area with rosebud torch. It will make the auger bow sag further down when heating. What you do then is while auger is red hot, take water-hose and cool heated are little at a time and watch it draw up to perfection. You can turn auger to see if there are any more warp still there. You may have to repeat process couple more times, but if you are good, this saves a lot of money and lets you continue to use an otherwise "bad auger".

·
Registered
998 Posts

That is the best way to do it, but without the jig. Do it in the machine though the same way as cutncrop has said in the above post. Works for anything round really.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey bud just came across your post this is what i do for a living i repair / build augers headers frames rock guards and all in between. Now if you have patience and torch with #4 head you can do ot yourself id practice on scrap iron first if you want to attempt ill give you my email and we can go from there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts