The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a new to us, used bale processor. We used to have a Brandt, and that was the most poorly designed piece if junk ever made, looking for a simple design, very reliable, heavily built product.

Please share your experiences with me.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Never had a problem with out highline ones. Had a 7000+ for 14 years and only had to replace one bearing and some flails that broke from rocks being in bales. And hyd hoses that break when it's 40 below. Have a 8000 now for 4 years and it's been trouble free also. We got the feed chopper option is why we traded. I know a couple guys with haybusters and they like them also

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Never had a problem with out highline ones. Had a 7000+ for 14 years and only had to replace one bearing and some flails that broke from rocks being in bales. And hyd hoses that break when it's 40 below. Have a 8000 now for 4 years and it's been trouble free also. We got the feed chopper option is why we traded. I know a couple guys with haybusters and they like them also
I second that. Have had a 7000 since 2001 and it still is going strong. One weak point is the extensions on the sides can break out where they bolt on but this happened after 11 years of "use" (she's been tipped a couple times). They are a good machine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have an older Highline 6000+ with an updated rotor that was a good machine. We use a Haybuster 2650 primarily now. We traded a 2640 for the 2650 and its a lot better machine. Much heavier in the fork mechanism and the chain slats seem to hold up better. The 2650 also has the larger flotation tires and right hand discharge. The biggest advantage with the Haybuster is the access door to get the twine off and the chain will feed the bale better if you happen to get the bale in the wrong direction. I will say that the old Highlline will throw straw way further into the pole barn and the rotor feeder is less maintenance prone than the chains.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you are using rotary straw a haybuster might be a better choice. I don't use our highline 6800 for much else. I modified it a bit. The price of the new processors is kinda high but with cattle prices up they might sell a few. Anybody use a Vermeer processor? They used to be a highline but I don't think so anymore.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you want the best buy a haybuster,all the rest don't even compare with it.
I agree, we are on our second haybuster. Had a 2640 and traded up to a 2655 fine cute. Shoots straw a good 50 feet consistently. 2655 is like going from a Model T to a Cadillac. Increased rotor speed and more knives. Less cutting of twines. Maybe have to cut twines twice a year. Run about 6-700 bales through a year wrapped with both sisal and net wrap. only time we have issues is if you load another bale before the previous is finished grinding.

Bought it for the resale value as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bale Processor

Ran a Highline 6000 for 15 years with a couple hundred bucks repairs in it. Upgraded a couple years ago to a 7000HDR if I can get another 10 yrs out it maybe the cattle will also go then, pretty happy with it and helpful manufacturer out at Vonda Sk.

JMO Mark

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
To keep it simple go with a LH discharge. No gearbox or chains, etc. to look after.

Have had good luck with Haybuster 256+II s. Put the heavy flails in and it has way more appetite. Removing twine and wrap from the rotor is as easy as a flick of the Bic. Have done some welding on the forks and screen at the front of the bale tub. Very simple and well built.

You wouldn't go wrong with any thing other than a Brandt. Ran one for a friend one winter and you couldn't give me one after.

·
Registered
233 Posts
never hear of any issues with the neighbor's bale kings.... We have a highline 6800 not a bad machine but I think there should be better.... 2 biggest problems we have : even when removing twines every day we still have some problems with twine sucking into the bearings. this in turn prevents them from taking grease and have to be changed... and secondly something not just right with bale lift arms - end up with way too many bales sitting in chamber on their ends. - that might be the operator though!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've never seen a Haybuster run, but the chain feeder looks like a huge improvement when it comes to rotary straw or flat bottom hay bales, I forked a few of those f'ers out of Dad's highline 6xxx.

As an aside about the chain feed, is it reversible? I presume it's orbit motor driven, has anyone ever considered incorporating a bale unroller? I would hesitate to do it but you could probably just gas ax large rectangular hole in the side It would be right side discharge, above the shield and, if you could get it to work, a way to feed good hay without over processing it but still in a windrow. Or you could shred the moldy outside of a bale and unroll the rest. Process just enough to get the twines off? Is it doable?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've never seen a Haybuster run, but the chain feeder looks like a huge improvement when it comes to rotary straw or flat bottom hay bales, I forked a few of those f'ers out of Dad's highline 6xxx.

As an aside about the chain feed, is it reversible? I presume it's orbit motor driven, has anyone ever considered incorporating a bale unroller? I would hesitate to do it but you could probably just gas ax large rectangular hole in the side It would be right side discharge, above the shield and, if you could get it to work, a way to feed good hay without over processing it but still in a windrow. Or you could shred the moldy outside of a bale and unroll the rest. Process just enough to get the twines off? Is it doable?
I wish. Local inventors here built a bale unwinder that holds 7 bales and is self loading but you still need to cut strings. Fuel savings over a shredder is something else.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I feel the need to throw Vermeer in here.

Had a 256 Plus II for years and years, and were going to buy a 2650 until we found the Vermeer. The biggest selling point for me was the option to do square bales too, for only $4500 more or something. That's huge if you have square bale guys around (we have one ourselves).

I don't know about the 2650, but our 256 was an offset frame and it was kind of a pain to back up sometimes. Combined with the smooth tires, it was annoying in snow. The Vermeer has good grip tires and a "T" frame so that worry is over.

There is one thing..... The dealer we bought it from closed shop a few weeks later, and it was a constant battle with the last dealer in my area to get parts. No dealer, don't buy one.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
We have a Brandt and don't seem to have any issues with it?? Why is it that some don't like the brandt? Has the option of feeding large 3x4 or 4x4 bales and with the floor chain I can vary the feed rate on real dry straw that otherwise would just shoot right through the knife drum.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We ran a 6000 highline for years feeding cows and bedding our feedlot,never let us down. Latter went with a Deglman with the X rotor and fed silage bales with it no problem, also the X rotor was a cinch to remove twine from with an electric branding iron to cut them with.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Anyone got any updates on this thread ? .... I have a 7000 high line . It’s been tough as nails and really haven’t had much trouble . I don’t like it in rotary straw or flat sided bales . Some times you end up forking out the bale .. anyone like the Vermeer ? Looks descent but where the hell are all the dealers ? Thought a chain floor might be better in tough old bale conditions

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.