The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been covered on here before. Which Case/IH or IH Combine is "the best one ever made", taking into consideration: Reliability, Ease of maintenence and to make adjustments and fix and repair problems, Simplicity,Performance, Quality of components and Quality of engineering and Longevity ( "Built to last" ) Lynas.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm betting it's the 2388......seems the US is saturated with them. I personally run a 2188 (first year of the much improved cab, entrance ladder, etc) and think it's a nice improvement over my old 1480 although the basic threshing design is near the same except for the longer shoe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
some time ago 2388 was bestseller 4000 units worldwide. Second was claas lexion 580 with 500 units per season. But at this point I would wot for AFX in advance
(it will be some time later)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
It seems to me that each successive series got better. Every new series had beefier components, better service access, more creature comforts, more performance. As far as I know the new x088 machines are the pinnacle of the old style design. I don't think there is much more that can be refined on them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The general consensus among MECHANICS is the 1688 - better hydraulics than the older ones, more power than the older ones, but simpler (fewer electronics) than the newer ones. But I sure like my 21's final drives......

·
Registered
728 Posts
I like the IH engines in the 14 and 16 series i don't think the cummins is as good as every one says it is in are 2366 before the one we have now the engine blew in the middle of harvest, it broke a valve lifter.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have a soft spot for...........the 1470. Brought the rotor to the hillsides
of the Northwest........stuck to the KISS principal.....easy to work on.
When the 1470's left SRS Ranches, they had over 5000 hrs and are
still at work for their new owners.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Case-IH 1660 Axial Flow
All the updates and Specialty Rotor (with AFX adapter).
It meets all the criteria you stated!!!
-Farmer Ed

·
Registered
117 Posts
what mechanics like the 1688? have they ever changed a aux hydraulic drive belt under that shield? no room, the 8010 is the best says this mechanic, built heavy and all kinds of capacity

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have a 1666 with the afx adapter. We had the bolts strip out on our hyd. aux. drive pulley. I've never worked on an 8010 but I sure hope they made it easier to get at. All in all great combine to operate and work on. Wouldnt mind having a 9120 sitting in the shed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had a 1987 1680 that I thought was an awsome machine. It was a heck of a step up from the 1640 I ran before it. The 80 series I felt were easier to work on and that machine just ran and ran and ran for me. I will do more in a day with my 2300 series combines but that 1680 for the time offered me great capacity and minimal downtime. Even though it didn't have all the "bells and whistles" of the new ones it still harvested very well.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My father in law claims the 2188 was the best. Nicer cab but still not enough power to seriously do alot of hurt to itself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ran two 1460s ,then 2388 huge leap,upgraded to 7010 ,now back down to 2188 Euro spec.
They were all good but I think this 95' 2188 is great ,I reckon it must have more HP then stated because it just eats up wheat and with spec rotor hardly any rumbling
Also Dronenberg 1030 20ft front is bullet proof.
Dont get me wrong 7010 was a beast but 2188 was half the price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe not the best made, but we all seem to have a soft spot for that one that did it's job so well for us. Our first Axial Flow, bought in 1991 was a 1440 with manual hydraulics and we would harvest about 750 acres of 25% moister, 150 to 180 wet bushels per acre of corn with that little chap. 6 row head at 3.5 to 4.3 mph. Just plain, simple and reliable. Couldn't believe that little machine could do so much.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts