The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what the best combine for harvesting hemp is. I've tried it with older 9600 with hexagon shaped to feeder chain shaft.....did not work. Any other experiences? T670 or cx8080 or a lexion 670? Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
726 Posts
CX8080 is only combine have used on this stuff and think it works good. The newer JD combines(s690) around here certainly do not work. I would like to see a lexion conventional. On the NH there seems to be different ways they get set up. You do not want the spiked front beater(just behind cylinder) as even the spiked rear beater can cause issues in certain hemp material - may even take out the spiked rear beaters on mine.

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
It definitely is not a lexion. From talking to guys that grow it they say the case rotor where you can reverse the material out is one of the better rotor combines for it. Probably a conventional machine would work the best.

·
Registered
33 Posts
These are the 5 combines I have seen in person combining hemp.
9660 WTS - works (tine seperator must be disengaged)
MF 9895 - works (at least this year)
CX 8090 - works
MF 8570 - doesn't work
9760 & S670 - doesn't work unless you're desperate
As far as the T670 is concerned I don't have personal experience but I know some are using them. I have heard that if the stripper beater wraps it is very difficult to get at to unwrap.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I thought the hemp growers all wanted old 9600s? The hex shaft would be a small project to fix compared to the problems a lot of rotaries and more complicated systems like a T might have ?
Guess I have never seen a 9600 in hemp, but here would be my view. The 9600 combine was a big combine in its day, but that day was at least 25years ago. I cannot believe it would even come close to the capacity combining hemp that newer machines that will combine hemp today. People that are "liking" 9600s for combining hemp have to be satisfied with less capacity; albeit at much lower cost machine. Everybody on here likes to talk about combine performance, b/hr or day, etc. I would say that I can combine more hemp in acres and/or $/day/person with cx8080 than anybody combining canola using same metrics so do not think you have to look at hemp as something that has to reduce capacity. If people shy away from growing the stuff because they disagree with this it suits me fine.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Had neighbors that tried hemp with a CR twin-rotor combine and they had many problems with wrapping (I assume around the rotors). From what I can see of my neighbors that do hemp, the Case flagship machine is by far the best hemp machine. Single rotor machines seem to do better in hemp than conventionals (less things to wrap around I guess).

·
Registered
726 Posts
A 9600 will run side by side all day with the biggest fanciest machine out there. Harvesting this crop is not at all about bu/hr. Its about getting that crap through the machine trouble free.
Ok - I will bite. How many lbs of harvested hemp can you do in a day with a 9600 as" getting crap through" has to come out to be measurable hemp seed? I have done close to 150000 with the cx - that means it is all going thru machine trouble free. Precautions I take is not unloading on the go. I actually unload at idle, check things out, give potential problem spots a blow job every other hopper or so depending on conditions. This means that travelling 5-6mph picking up swaths. On typical comfortable day when not pushed would do not much more than half that amount.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We put hemp through our s77 gleaner and it did a great job. No wrapping clean sample only issue was the header. A draper would of been the ticket.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We do hemp and we run s670's . Our neighbor grow's more than 7000 acers of hemp and he run's 15 deere 9870' s so those who say deere s670 or 9770 don't work well thats not quite true. The only thing we added is a anti wrap kit to the front of the rotor bearing and we lift chopper up to drop straw instead of opening chop to drop door. Our neighbor will his new holland walker machines chops his straw, its not pretty and slow going.I know a massey rotory / new holland cr twin rotory and a Class non rotory dont work. This year was an exceptionaly horrible year for fires in hemp cause a wind storm came through before swathing and cracked and broke stalks and when that happens the hemp fibers wrap like ****. The more hemp stalks are broken the more they wrap around beaters and bearings and that is what causes fires.Swath as high as you can and make swath as uniform as possible so everything lays in one direction and there are no piles and bundles in swath. Harvest two days after swathing if you can so straw is not quite dry so it doesn't break up to much .Straight cutting here is not a good option here to much wind loss when ripe. :sFun_whistle:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your input guys! I have seen in our area for the last couple years a lexion 670 walker do hemp....I wouldn't say with no trouble but with the hemp being overripe I would say it did very good.

·
Registered
726 Posts
So you swath your hemp? Every one here straight cuts. If you do swath how do you stage it and how long do you leave it down?
With a name like Empire of Dirt you could flood the hemp mkt so may be best if you start paying consulting fees. It like most things on this forum where there no "one size fits all" for all occasions/areas, but with hemp there are some definite do's and don'ts that will cost money or cause problems. You either pay to play or you can play and pray.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I see we're talking two totally different scenarios here. The hemp we grow is 6-8 feet tall - swathing is out of the question. What I'm trying to get across is when you're straight cutting the stuff driving as fast as physically possible while trying to get it all on the header and through the machine no other machine is going to do any better.

If anyone has any questions about growing hemp fire away. After growing and fighting with that stuff every year since the late 90's I think I am done with it. That should give a pretty good indication of how rosy it is lol.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I see we're talking two totally different scenarios here. The hemp we grow is 6-8 feet tall - swathing is out of the question. What I'm trying to get across is when you're straight cutting the stuff driving as fast as physically possible while trying to get it all on the header and through the machine no other machine is going to do any better.

"If anyone has any questions about growing hemp fire away"

So is that pun intended - lol. Guess if you burning up machines maybe better it 9600's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts