The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Not much to keep volunteer beans out, if this is your first time with beans you will sure like you're crop after beans, our wheat on beans this year did over a 100bu per acre, on ground we usually shoot for 50bu HRS

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I would put flax on wheat ground I am assumeing since you don't raise corn or beans, you must have some ground that has had grass crops on a long time. Keep the rotation going. Yes price looks pretty sweet, I would plant some someplace.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just wondering what works best on soybean stubble first year we grew them not sure what we should grow next gear on them ?
Hello MB850
Soybeans. The rhizobia in the inoculant is not native to our northern soils, so you will see an increase in yield the second year because of that. Don't go any longer as you can run into disease issues. Lots & lots of back to back soybeans grown in this area with a boost in yield the second year (Mother Nature co-operating of course!!).

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would go back to beans you will be surprised how much better they are the next year.

Volunteers will not be an issue if you had even a little rain after harvest. The beans swell up and won't germinate after that. You can find that out for yourself if you seed to shallow.

The rule of thumb on N from soybeans is you pick up the same amount as the yield. So 50bu is 50lbs. But I have yet to see any difference or impact in next years yield from this N. In two tests we ran there was a slight increase in protein in wheat following soys but that was it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
good post

Thanks for posting that. Do not even grow beans, but believe there applications of this for many other crops. I believe it is quite common practice in parts of corn belt to apply product(s) that encourage breakdown of residue such that more nutrient available in following crop and will be interesting to see some test results from up here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.