The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, haven't been on in a while, but I wanted to bring up another topic for me to learn on. Okay, so I plan to start farming small while I'm in college to try and make money off of, and my grandpa agreed for me to keep my equipment in his barns if I ever decide to follow through with it, so I have a decision to make on the tractor I want to purchase, because I already have myself dead set on a 1460 or a 1480 for my combine. So this is what I need; a tractor that can pull a chisel plow, pull a disk, pull a cultivator, pull a grain drill, pull wagons to the elevator. Now the following tractors have crossed my mind once or twice: John Deere 4440, John Deere 4630, International 1586. Are there any other tractors I should consider? Would it matter if I got automatic shift instead of conventional? How much HP would I need for a smaller chisel plow? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Go with a 40 or 50 series deere. They have a few refinements over the 30 series and a few bugs fixed. Factory parts availability is better than an IH, and there were more made so more availability in wrecking yards.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You could go with any 90 series Case tractor, they are cheap and if you are mechanically inclined if the powershift gives you trouble and you get it fixed up it will be reliable for many hours.
My 285 Massey is indestructible but is a little small for some of the jobs your looking at, I'd say the larger models are cheap and reliable too though. Allot has to do with how well it's been taken care of through it's life. I would shop until I find something cheap in my range and go from there. You might be better off (and cheaper) with a small Versatile and a smaller two wheel drive tractor.

·
Registered
849 Posts
spend the money on a clean unit. if you have a 20k budget you aren't going to get much of a 4440, and if you do in 5 years time it will cost you some money. but if you go to a 30k budget you can get a clean 4440 or a nice 2wd 4450.

I used to drive 86 series IH's as a kid and just drove a 1086 into the shop to fix the tranny. what a pile of crap. everything about it is horrible to operate compared to a 40 series deere.

now I know why there are many 40 series and later deeres around here with 14k+ hours and I don't know of a binder with that hours.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wait a minute. All these guys are suggesting tractors but I haven't seen a one of them ask how many acres you plan to farm since you plan to start small. How many acres is small, how soon would you get bigger, how many acres is bigger? Without an idea of how many acres, guessing at the right size/model/make/year of tractor is a waste of time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We picked up a AC 8070 with 4000 hours at an estate sale for $10,000 not too long ago. Really didn't need it but it was a good deal and we have worked it and it's a pretty nice tractor. Has good power, seems to be pretty stout and is nimble. They are in the 15-25 k range.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What you want is a tractor with poor resale value because it will be cheap for you to buy. What ever you buy the condition will be the most important factor. People seem to get very excited about 4440's, but these are very old tractors now and have had decades of use and abuse and no matter how good it was when it was new will have more influence on how it works for you.

It might be worth investigating how much it would cost to lease/rent/hire a tractor, that way you keep your lump sum and the liability is someone else's problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having owned owned a 4440 and a 1086 the ih is more crude but will do the same work while doing it with less costs all the way around. Both tractors had more than 12000 hours when they left the farm. I wish I had kept the ih for a auger tractor.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Loadstar.
Need to know:
How many acres,(as RM-MN said)
Budget
Horsepower
Implement size
From your post it looks like you are wanting around 160 engine H.p. and probably on a tight budget.

IH 1086/1486 ... (1586 has less gears.)
J.D. 4440...
MF 1135/1155
FORD 9700/TW 20 Dual power.
Of these, the 4440 would be both the most expensive to buy and to have any major repair work done, but also the most durable, and the one you would most like to spend a day in, but these are all good solid tractors, if they have been maintained and operated right.
If the IH`s have been pulled hard, the rearends may be needing a rebuild. The gearshifts will be sloppy and needing a rebuild kit (if they have not already been done)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'll second the 90 series case. The case was built with heavier components than their competitors and the 504 engine was much better than anyone else's.sounds like you need a 150hp tractor and a 2390 or 2590 case are tough and will out pull the others in there class. I have a 2590 and a 2594, and yes the trans have gave some people troubles but most are exaggerated, IMO. I have two jd 4840's and they have been great tractors but I've had to split them into also for internal repairs and they won't out pull the case 25's and a 4640 won't out pull a 2390 case. The case can be bought for half the price. I'd go with the 2590 at 180-200hp, you're farm operation will grow into it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
look for a FWA, don't purchase one without, well worth the extra money. 4450 JD good tractors, but used are still a good coin, and believe me they still break down. Our best buy for the buck and reliabilty is the case MX 110, power quad with shuttle and joystick, got to have those too. 9000 hours from new and the only issues we have had are with the front diff. A new front diff final drive is in the 4000 CDN range, so still not to expensive to repair as far as what it usually costs when a tractor goes to the shop these days. And I am not knocking green equipment as most of what we have on the farm is green, just that MX has been a good tractor overall. I would look for NH equivilent though, not sure of the model number, but New Holland has the same tractor, only blue and different number.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. Thanks for the reply guys. And when I say I plan to start off small, I literally mean 100 acres. I plan to expand to 1000 if I can get people to farm for, and if I make enough money as a Software Engineer to save for more land, which is expensive as ****. With that being said, my first tractor budget is $20,000 or less. Yeah, the 1086 is definitely not my first pick for a tractor, having used one myself, they're a bit, shall I say, ridiculous? What I really hate is having to put the clutch ALL THE WAY IN, or you kill the tractor if you switch gears.... So yeah guys, FWA is not needed, but would be welcomed. Does anyone know about the 4*** series of IH Articulated tractors? I looked at those, and I saw cheap power. Should I buy one big tractor for working ground, and a smaller tractor to drill, plant, and haul wagons?

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's the info I was looking for. At 100 acres, you don't need a 200hp tractor, nor a 100hp one. While they might be nice, they are much bigger than needed unless you already have equipment that requires that big of a tractor. By going smaller, you sacrifice time to do the job against the difference in cost of the tractor. I'm farming a bit over 100 acres and find that in my situation, a 50hp tractor is more fitting to that acreage and way less than $20k to purchase. If I were looking to increase that acreage I'd still start small and either sell and purchase bigger or just purchase bigger and use the smaller tractor for those little jobs that happen so you don't have to unhook the bigger one to hook onto a different piece of equipment for a 10 minute job.

With all that said, you should be able to get a tractor for well under that $20k that will be worth as much to resell as what it would cost you now. In practical terms, you are basically renting the tractor for the value of interest of that money in the bank, pretty cheap rent if you do it right.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If I was starting off with 100 acres, I'd look for a Deere 4020, or maybe even up to a 4240 if you need a cab option. That will put you in the 90-100hp range. You can pull a 6 row planter or a 15' grain drill which will be plenty big for 100 acres. You could farm 250 acres with that equipment. When you got a little bigger, then look for maybe a MFWD 4455, 4555,4755, or a 4955 that will pull 12 row and up to 30' implements.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see what you guys are saying, but I don't want to spend the money on a tractor, just to sell it to spend money again on a bigger one

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ford TW25 Tractors | Titan Machinery - North Platte North Platte, NE #ELS1736392

See this is what I like, but I hate manual transmissions on tractors. It's freaking hard to switch gears when you're working ground and if you put the clutch in, you smash your head on the steering wheel. My cousin has a smaller MF open cab tractor. He wants to get rid of it, so I wonder if I were to work for him enough that he would just give me the tractor

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ford TW25 Tractors | Titan Machinery - North Platte North Platte, NE #ELS1736392

See this is what I like, but I hate manual transmissions on tractors. It's freaking hard to switch gears when you're working ground and if you put the clutch in, you smash your head on the steering wheel. My cousin has a smaller MF open cab tractor. He wants to get rid of it, so I wonder if I were to work for him enough that he would just give me the tractor

Seriously?? How did farmers survive before powershifts. How bout a select-o-speed. I don't recall needing to change gears to often when I was plowing with a ford 3000 and a 2 bottom plow. Find a gear that works and stay there. At least that tw has dual power to help get thru some tough spots. If you think you need a powershift in that price range you do have some options with deere, allis and case but I'd try to find something with fwa before I worried about it having a powershift. Also consider this- anything you buy of the vintage your looking at will need some work and will break down from time to time. (Usually at the beginning of a weekend or holiday when you can't get parts). Buying 2 smaller tractors for that same money gives you some options and flexibility when it happens.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I see what you guys are saying, but I don't want to spend the money on a tractor, just to sell it to spend money again on a bigger one
Why not. Look up a mathematical formula for future value of money. Get a tractor cheap enough so if the farming doesn't work out, you get your investment back and maybe some extra. If it does work out, invest in a bigger tractor when you see the need, not now. If the farming isn't making you enough money to afford the bigger tractor, quit.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts