The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of putting hydraulic downpressure on our 1895 deere. So a cylinder on every row in which we need to connect everyone with a hose. What style of spin on fitting stays tight. Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
x2 on JIC they are amazing.
JIC is good, AN is better. They are interchangeable, both 37 degree fittings, but AN has more exact tolerances, developed for military. Stands for Army-Navy. Commonly used in performance vehicles now. Brakes and fuel systems.

Can't go wrong with either setup. JIC will be more common

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Most fittings in a bobcat skidsteer are JIC, I worked on them for years and there isnt much worse of an environment for a fitting with the vibrations and impacts.... if they came loose they were not tightened correctly.

That being said, any fitting if tightened correctly would most likely be fine.

Get parts that are easiest to source off the shelf.... (JIC)

That being said, obviously I'd avoid pipe thread.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Flat face oring fittings are probably about the most reliable fittings and don't have to be over torqued but they are metric and costly. Becoming very common on ag equipment. Cost wise and commonality of fittings makes JIC probably the best pic for this project especially if the cylinders have a npt or ORB port on them.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Flat face oring fittings are probably about the "most reliable fittings " and don't have to be over torqued but they are metric and costly. Becoming very common on ag equipment. Cost wise and commonality of fittings makes JIC probably the best pic for this project especially if the cylinders have a npt or ORB port on them.

JIC x3. I am surprised that flat face o-ring seals even exist as they are an extreme safety hazard, especially in applications where there is vibration and or movement of linkages. They are the most unreliable fitting - even more unreliable than pipe thread! I have had a lot of issues with the larger variety on the suspension system of NH SP360F sprayer. It is a mess when it comes loose, lose your oil and then open to replace the o-ring - POS!

No, they are not really convenient and expensive to boot - never trust. If you don't hold both nuts, the o-ring tears - start over again after leaking oil all over yourself!

They are not environmentally friendly either when you blast out all the oil until you can replace the o-ring to re-initiate integrity - and then you have to have the right size! If they loosen a fraction, the o-ring fails and the load comes crashing down or bleeds down - meanwhile find another o-ring - keep a kit with you where the rubber will eventually deteriorate and age - buy some more! You just can't take a wrench and tighten it, it is finished until the pressure bleeds out or you run out of oil! You just hope you aren't under the truck hoist when that happens!

There is absolutely no replacement for a JIC with a metal to metal taperedd seal with a minimal torque applied and they swivel too! Everytime you open an orfs fitting, you should change an o-ring! If you don't, it may leak oil all over you! JIC has no degrading parts other than long time fatigue which all metal has. O-rings have a shelf life.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Anything but pipe.

My preference is flat face o-ring boss.

My reasoning for flat face is it eliminates the need for swivel fittings on traditional o-ring boss.

JIC is very reliable though and one thing is if you want to put stainless pipe wherever possible it it's cheap and easy to get ahold of a good flare tool. Just a little fussy on the cut, it has to be a clean cut and if you dont have the proper tools you will need a pipe cutter

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is absolutely no replacement for a JIC with a metal to metal taperedd seal with a minimal torque applied and they swivel too! Everytime you open an orfs fitting, you should change an o-ring! If you don't, it may leak oil all over you! JIC has no degrading parts other than long time fatigue which all metal has. O-rings have a shelf life.
JIC cannot withstand pressures as high as ORFS especially when getting into larger sizes
ORFS has a longer duty cycle when it comes to connecting and disconnecting. I would rather replace an o-ring than pull the whole line out and replace the crimped fitting
ORFS is much more foregiving than JIC if overtightened
I may have some experience on the last reason...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Well I seldom have anything over 3/4 inch and most components on the farm are 1/2 or less (size 6 to 8) where the point is mute. For vibration and situations where things can loosen up, I would still stick with a JIC. Most times pipe does just fine as well and it is rated much lower. I have had ORFS fail 5 times in the last several years and I have not seen a JIC face seal fail once. I had a JIC fail on a hoist but it was on the crimp and swivel side and due to being overtorqued! I am speaking from experience and I know I had overtightened it. (speaking from experience! However, an ORFS can fail at that very same spot next to the crimp as it has nothing to do with the sealing surface and more to do with how hard the operator pulled the wrench. They may have more meat in their "swivel" and can't comment on that. I do know that you have to be careful with JIC when tightening any connection that has the built in swivel. That is the failure prone spot! They actually don't call for a lot of torque on their connections either!

I think I have 1 1/2" (size 24) ORFS fittings on my NH SP365 suspension system and I have "torqued" the ORFS fitting to a point where it is now making a metal to metal seal! I have lost the oil in the system several times because the "low torque" connections can't take the movement and loosened up. I got frustrated and tighten them as hard as I can so they won't come loose! I am speaking from negative experiences as well!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts