The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new drill for next years planting, and I'm leaning towards a used bourgault 3310, I like the midrow bander idea as far a fert placement, but they are a lot of maintenance.. what are others experience with independent openers what options are even out there???? seed hawk, seed master, bourgault, what others??? can someone get a poll going? Don?

Tanks I guess are another level, lets not get into that this round.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
It appears that you want to fertilize and seed in one pass, what type of N do you plan to use? Banders work better with dry than NH3. Also a 1:1 opener will do a better job than a 2:1 if you have ditches/rolling land. If you are table-top a 2:1 would likely work fine. I had a CIH 800 and it did a excellent job of seed placement(better than my 3320 QDA) but as a one-pass unit it was limited to a dual-shoot opener. The BG is a good one-pass unit as it keeps N away from seedrow.:)

There are so many factors at play here....:confused:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i farm in rolling land to extreme hills, but probably 90% rolling land, lighter soil, this year i placed 140 lbs of 46-0-0 (33% esn) in the midrow with 87 lbs of phos, sulphur.. in sthe seedrow, that was my biggest fert placement in durum.

My land is lighter soil, and Im not sure if I could go much heavier with the N (to gain any benefit)

My neighbour, seeded a 1/2 next to me with a 3320 bourgault and a jd that wasnt independant opener, split the field down the centre, from about 10 days later it was very obvious the 3320 did a better job it looks thicker, more mature.. its actually mind blowing. If I could figure out how to post pics, I took one with my Iphone about2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
294 Posts
1870 JD Conserva Pak on left: 96 lbs/acre of Barley seeded. 200 lbs of dry blend fert. 20 plants/ft2 on average. Looked greener and healthier than Paralink. Much better emergence in heavy trash than Paralink.

Bourgault Paralink on right: 96 lbs/acre of Barley seeded. 200 lbs of dry blend fert. 16 plants/ft2 on average.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
From what you describe as your issues and requests, a 3310 may not be the best choice. I am a huge bourgault supporter and would definitely recommend them, but I think you need to consider 3320 XTC. With the 3310, its a 2:1 opener. You will have trouble with seed placement in hills and rolling terrain. It's also a biatch to adjust depth, you need to go and pull a pin on every opener and try to get it in another hole, as the drill ages this becomes difficult. The series 25 banders are also cumbersome compared to series 3. Spending all that money on a precision drill you want it to be precise, and the 2:1 just isn't going to cut it for you I don't think. The XTC is made for rolling land. It contours much better with 1:1. Pair that with a 3/4 or 1" opener (I much prefer 1") and you'd be super happy. The series 3 MRB is handy. You can lock them up easily with the flip of a hydro handle on the block. Very handy if seeding pulses when don't need MRB. Also depth settings done by adding shims, can be done in minutes. Straw flow on them is better as well with a few more adjustments. And as for depth control on the openers, the xtc doesn't have the silly pin. It has a notched setting on back that is very quick to change (so I'm told).

Other points to consider. You need 45+ gpm hydraulic flow for 2 fans and paralink drill. If you have soggy land, the high float is a must on the main section, the banders make the drill very heavy. Also you'll need a 6550 or larger tank to go with a 50 or 60 foot to make it most efficient, so it could be a pricey purchase. I've got mostly flat land so I went with QDA. I think its the best choice. Yes I have to double seed water runs but that's doable for me. My only problem is that we've increased acres rapidly and we are short on width for our 3 man system. Time to get another man or get more feet. Jury still out on that one.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
we love our seed hawk canola always comes up nice seed all our crops at half an inch depending on moisture in wet year we where at 3 8th of inch great job too pull really nice too if you have rolling land seedhawk will be tough to beat

we have a flexicoil 5000 40ft that pulls as hard as the 62ft hawk if i didnt drive booth i would never belive it

·
Registered
628 Posts
We farm alot of land like what you described and are running a 3310 with mrb and it does a good job but not a great job. It still bits as you crest the hills and doesn't follow the wash outs as good as it should. I do like the mrb as they are not in the ground when seeding pulses which is at least half our acres every year. I always had a problem with wearing out double shoot boots that we are not even using. Our next drill will be an XTC for sure. We demoed a 2070 and the mini seed hawk was here too then bought the Bourgault. Having to use a wrench to change depth was unappealing to me and I like the pins on the Bourgault. In our land we seem to change depth more often as conditions change and through different crops so the easier it is the better. The Bourgaults are a load to pull and uses lots of hydraulics.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you want a one pass system i would go with BG because of the MRBs. We went from a 45' 5000 flexicoil, 7.2" spacing, 3/4" gen opener, 230 cart, 1000 gallon liquid tank to a 50' seedmaster, 10" factory opener, 230 cart and 2000 gallon tank. the seedmaster pulled easier than the 5000. The 5000 had a better field finish. Now we have a new holland P2070 70', 10" spacing with dutch universal 3" boot (not a typo), 430 cart, and no liquid for this year but we will have on for next year. Being from sw mb this year the less you pull the better off you are. We were totally surprised at this drill/opener combo. leaps and bounds better finish and didnt throw dirt compared to seedmaster and still able to pull it with a 385 quad. 90+% power in heavier soil but still pulled it well. previous owner could not pull it with a 480 with the factory opener.

I like the morris c2 though. i like the idea of the depth adjustmet. The pins will never be as hard to remove as a BG or seedhawk. like a previous poster said about a 3310 BG. and it doesent look as bloody heavy as a BG and it doesent seem underbuilt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.