The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace the knife on our 1020 header. Wondering what people's thoughts on the best knife available out there. Currently running a stock Case one but I am quite interested in the SCH knife, also the Crary one. I'm most interested in soybean performance. It would be nice to be able to increase cutting speed. I feel like it's my biggest capacity limitation in soybeans right now

·
Registered
370 Posts
regardless of at knife you use, most people do not seem to realize that the knife is only half of the cutting blade, make sure the guards are in top condition and that the blades swing easily throughout the stroke. often people ignore the fact that the guard is just as important.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a Crary on an old 820, and I wasn't real impressed with it. The nylon wear pads wear out quickly when cutting beans in sandy soil. My 20' 1020 that I have now has the sch bar on it. I like that better than the crary. Both are a 3" cut.

·
Registered
355 Posts
With the knife guards mine were worn bad in middle of harvest and to get me thru I was told to pull the knife out and used an angle grinder to run along the edge of the guards where the knife does the cutting edge. It cuts a kit cleaner instead if jamming in the rounded edge of the guard. New is better bit this will stretch the old ones out if u dint have time or cash for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.