The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I am sure most of you know, in fall of 2017 we had a big fire come across our land and in order to keep it from blowing had to rip it to bring up lumps. Well we succeeded but now it is pretty rough. Ended up buying a hoe drill with 4 inch openers and it is getting better but I think it will take more years than I want to drag a used 80k ac drill around so I am hoping to do something in a single pass.

My rotation is going to include a sweetclover green manure crop terminated in Late June or early July and then seeded to fall rye. I think that would be the best opportunity for some tillage to level it out, and terminate the clover too (probably will spray it before as well). Also means that it will get seeded in the fall and is a time of year that many rental places wouldn't have much demand for the machines if I go the rental route so might get a deal.

So what is going to level my ground out best in that situation? Should I be looking at a fancy high speed disc and if so what kind and with what kind of packers? Or should I just spend the time with my 22 foot double disc and then maybe run my rotary harrow over it afterwards? I don't need to chop the residue up too much as I do have a Deere 1890 that could seed it if the hoe drill can't get through.

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
How much country do you need to rehab from the ripping? Trying to understand time it’ll take you etc ie what’s feasible for 1-200 acres doesn’t always scale to >1000 acres

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your disc and harrows are the cheapest.
But a protill dose amazing things.
Sometimes the best thing is what you already have.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seeding in opposite directions each year for a couple years with hoe drill can do a good job of levelling,
That hasn't been doing it and I'd rather get back to the disc drill than seed with the hoe drill for a while and lose the benefits of my stripper header. I figure I'm better off just biting the bullet and leveling it in one pass rather than using the hoe drill for 5 years and then still having to do an extra pass.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,717 Posts
A speed disc with a crumble roller
Do Degelman offer that?
Or an offset with the same roller
Dont know if you will have them over there but the cotton guys are all over the discs with big crumble rollers on the back. It’s amazing how level they will level trashy cotton country with raised 1mt hills.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Good chance a HSD will reduce your land to powder. I rented a 34 foot Frontier double disk from John Deere to break up some land. Did a great job leveling the land

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Anything that levels is likely going to destroy the straw or residue up top. Heavy harrow after combining when the straw is still strong may help as well. Even harrowing after seeding with a light tine harrow will help a lot. Would you have any pictures to post?

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There would be about a 2-3 inch dip every 3 feet that is probably about 3 inches wide. I don't think harrows are going to do any leveling on that amount. I'll see if I can get some photos. But it is rough enough that dad complains about it when spraying ends with a Case 4420 sprayer.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
From what you describe one pass with a cultivator would level up a lot of those trenches. Did the deep ripping have any long term benefit on the soil?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Cultivator or disc and work @ ~45 degrees to the rip lines.
do you get ridging from your disc? (Trying to avoid creating another headache for you)
Not sure what your soil is like to know if it’ll respond to high speed disc, how are others in the area getting along w them?

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The deep ripping kept the soil from blowing away in the wind after the fire. I notice that it funnels water into it a little bit and there is slightly better germination in the furrows, but to the detriment of the stuff seeded on the ridges.

A cultivator might work well. We do have one too.

What about sweeps on the airdrill? It is 10 inch spacing with 4" rubber packers. We used to do that way back and it doesn't kill weeds but it might make it work all in one pass.

We've tried seeding at shallow and steep angles to the ridges and it does work but it takes a very long time to get back where it it smooth I think.

·
Registered
943 Posts
What about seeding deep? The big farmer here sprayed most of the low spots in April. The ruts filled with water. They just seeded them this week, looked like they got filled in pretty good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts