The Combine Forum banner

Best points/boots for limestone country?

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Tablemountainman 
#1 ·
We have sheet limestone and rocky ground to cover. Would love to know what ppl would recommend. thinking rootboot or agmaster paired row.

#8 ·
I would be careful going down the line of any of those 3. I've heard that they can be good for growing weeds in the furrow as it creates a wide furrow with no chemical falling in to compete. Which to me makes sense as nearly all of my weeds germinate in the furrow and few to none in between.
Also with marginal soil moisture and small rain events crop won't germinate as the seeds are placed up on the sidewalks and not down in the lowest part of the furrow. Not to mention they can have a habit of blocking up under wet conditions and clay soil types.

#9 ·
I'd disagree with just about all of that.
You will get rye in the sidewall as you will with just about any other opener.
Crops will generally germinate better as the sidewall doesn't dry out like the centre of the furrow will. Hence why precision seeders all use the side band style system.
Never blocked a seed hawk twin due to wet/clay.

#10 · (Edited)
Yeah but seed hawk is a completely different design in how they work and they don't create a such a wide furrow. Mates got stilleto's on a 70 ft bourgault air hoe & hates them for all the above reasons. He can't wait to get rid of them. Also an Agro that works over most of the the state but most of his clients are around Hyden told me to go nowhere near them.

Agpoint have some good knock on knifes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.