The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Masters work done on rotations found after barley the best. Christine Williams i think did her thesis on it. Definitely not after canola.
Ok before I create a big mess why not flax after canola? While working some real wet canola ground today I thought if I broadcast some flax and harrowed it in might be the only way this ground will get seeded next year.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Ok before I create a big mess why not flax after canola? While working some real wet canola ground today I thought if I broadcast some flax and harrowed it in might be the only way this ground will get seeded next year.
Basically canola residue is considered toxic to flax. And secondly mycorrhizae fungi is not utilized in canola so populations are significantly lower the following year. flax benefits greatly from them for access to phos.

Barley in her masters project was found to provide the highest yield, but basically any cereal is ok.

Good link on rotations and flax

Flax Council of Canada

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Basically canola residue is considered toxic to flax. And secondly mycorrhizae fungi is not utilized in canola so populations are significantly lower the following year. flax benefits greatly from them for access to phos.

Barley in her masters project was found to provide the highest yield, but basically any cereal is ok.

Good link on rotations and flax

Flax Council of Canada
Definitely sounds like a wreck, I will scratch that idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The last few years I'm finding that flax after soybeans is working out the best for me. The field is cleaner due to 2 shots of glyphosate in the beans the previous year. Water is the real killer when the flax is 2 to 4 inches high.The longer it stays lime green the less yield you get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.