The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my agro thinks crop is fairly stuffed from water logging, there is bugger all rain tipped for next month or so, they talking dry spring, I have plenty of moisture but. I have enough money to spray some foliar on maybe two possibly three depending on results of how it reacts to jungle juice.

Agro thinks spray with 15 litre / ha of UAN twice and see how it goes....

Has anyone got any recommendations on what to do with water logged wheat? I don't care how far flung the idea, wether it be brown sugar or horses piss I don't are...I'm willing to try anything.

I have good population so if I can get every tiller to throw and fill a half decent head I might yield a bit...already have some heads out on stressed plant and they good looking heads...on average would have 260 plus plants per sqm with no less than 3 tillers.

Any suggestions welcome...thank you in advance.

Ant...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Wondering whether something with a few more trace element as well the nitrogen might be the go, have a look at the Stollers or Bio nutrients web site they should have a local rep you could contact to get some recommendations. I had some Mung beans a couple of years ago suffering from water logging and I hit it with 10L/ha of 777 it really perked them up, good luck

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Aussie I will check them out...they say K is the go for water logged but every time I p,at with foliar k I burn crap out of everything...corn hates it lol!...

Ant

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will roots take up solid fert if soil is water logged? I can't spread before a rain due to my roster, impossible to time hence the UAN suggestion? Not much rain predicted...how long can SOA sit until it rains?

Ant...

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Ant. Probably the best thing you can do right now to enhance your profitability, is to get on that plane and fly back to work, and stay there til harvest time.:)
...but to answer your question, as others said, SOA probably best fert option for both N and S, but solid fert won`t do much in a waterlogged soil.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
It's all I ever use and we get waterlogged. 10 days later the response is always visible. As to how long the fert will sit there well that's a can of worms. My results state if the grounds wet get it out if you can traffic the field. How bout a trial Ant.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If it's still waterlogged use UAN. 30L/ha with a few trace elements. Sulphate a if your going to do it every two weeks or oxides every four.

If no water laying id still do one spray to get it going, then put out 150kg or more SOA. SOA is a few steps down the conversion chain than urea so not as volatile.

How much N do you plan to put out? I'd imagine it hasn't had much yet? What yield you targeting now?

Good luck

Will

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
nitrogen is the key. Can you get a foliar applied with micro nutrients and throw in as much soluble urea as the plant will handle. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
68 Posts
1% MAP technical grade via the boomspray will provide energy boost and stimulate root growth, even better with 20kg urea in the mix but no more than 20kg as plants wont take it up.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My water logging is probably alot worse than most..it's been water logged from start of may..I tried spread urea and SOA on water loved wheat last year did f**k all...roots obviously shut down. If I can get it to fire after a foliar then defo and option.

What are people paying for UAN?

What is map tech worth and where to get from?

Trace ...looks like that's in...I have some of that.

Thanks for suggestions...awesome...I will be wrapped if I can green this thing up a bit and make it do something.

The rates of urea and SOA recommended...that's stretching my budget....what's urea running at the moment? I will get price Monday but wouldn't mind having some bargaining power...

Has anyone got yellow wheat to green up ?

Ant...

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Revenue is a shocker for it, mine has greened up the last week after another 80kgs urea, wish I had some before and after pics pretty amazing. A mate has just spread his, looked awful, will shoot out tomorrow get some pics should see a difference within a week. Urea geelong port for us is $455 plus G.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Correct MS, copper is the first to show...I'm interested in what calcium and boron does..do I need to add them to the cu zn Mn mix?

Ant...

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Urea delivered MIA is $520/tn. I think it's close to $60/tn for freight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can't remember MAP tech price (from memory $1300 - $1500 tonne) but you will need your suppliers to bring it in from a sister store in a horticultural area, very common in hort. You dont need much comes in 25kg bags, melts in granny pot like sugar. 2 bags per 5000 litre mix plus 20kg/ha urea @ 50lt/ha = 50kg MAP and 1000kg urea per 5000ltr. Will mix with most other chemicals.
Its not about delivering "units" of P or N, but the stimulation of root growth and energy kick. If you cant handle the urea, it is still worth the pass with the MAP. I would really give it a go.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can stop at E.E Muir & Sons in melbourne, they sell hort gear...I'm keen to give it a shot..and urea...you just throw that in and it dissolves..that's all you have to do? Obviously cheaper than UAN...

Ant...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts