The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Heston 5580 rounder that I am thinking about putting new belts on. I want something aggressive for starting bales quick. How would continuous chevron belting be in mostly alfalfa, Timothy, broke mix? Possibly straw too. the baler has rough top belts on now. Would chevron be better? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Diamond pattern is better than the zigzag, seems to grip the material better. I know when I tried both patterns on the old heston 814 soft core. I had diamond on the outside bottom and zigzag in the middle. Had a **** of a time getting a bale started feeding into the zigzag. Never had a problem when they were all diamond. On the 956 they have strips of belting on the forming roller that make a huge difference if they are worn. Not sure if you have the same style of forming roller. I also think the softer rubber is a big help too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the most important thing is to have all of the Belts the same length, give or take, and also the same lacing on all the Belts. I have mostly used mini rough top, and have had no problem baling short, dry hay, but sometimes trouble baling straw from a rotary combine of it is too dry and slippery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I would like to use diamond belting but this baler uses 5.3 inch belting and I have been unable to find a place that sells that size of belt in diamond top. I'll probably go with rough top if I can't find some diamond top

1 - 4 of 4 Posts