The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got inspiration from the post about using a surface mount effluent pump for diesel fuel.
I had a clean 1000 gal tank laying around with plans to build a fuel skid. So I'm doing it!

When its all said and done, to keep the wife happy and the yard looking spiffy... it will get painted white.

So the skid is just made of some drill stem, the tank has a small amount of surface rust... I'm NOT about to sandblast the thing, but will perhaps give it a good blast with the hotsey before painting.

Does anyone have good/bad experiences with different brands of paint?

Do you get what you pay for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I used KBS Rust Seal this winter on a grain trailer frame. Too soon to see how long it lasts except I got a bunch on my hands and it was impossible to get off.....and I tried everything! Took the better part of 2 weeks to wear off. You can get POR15 also.....very similar product. They are industrial paint and and you brush it on. It spreads out nice and doesn't leave brush marks. You can probably get away with one coat. It's about $50 in a 1 litre but that goes a long way......way more than Tremclad. Also you can get a liquid rust etcher to spray on with a squirt bottle first....eats off the orange rust and neutralizes it so the paint sticks better.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used KBS Rust Seal this winter on a grain trailer frame. Too soon to see how long it lasts except I got a bunch on my hands and it was impossible to get off.....and I tried everything! Took the better part of 2 weeks to wear off. You can get POR15 also.....very similar product. They are industrial paint and and you brush it on. It spreads out nice and doesn't leave brush marks. You can probably get away with one coat.
I have a spray gun.., can that be sprayed on as well??

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's looking good!
Thanks,

A must for me was to have the gauge on there... always seem to run out Saturday night with beautiful weather in the forecast...

I'll post a pic when I'm done... will also build some kind of a cover over the pump...

·
Registered
756 Posts
They say you can spray but it would have to be thinned down quite a bit. Brushing works pretty good. If you Google it you will see it's meant for things like car frames.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I used KBS Rust Seal this winter on a grain trailer frame. Too soon to see how long it lasts except I got a bunch on my hands and it was impossible to get off.....and I tried everything! Took the better part of 2 weeks to wear off. You can get POR15 also.....very similar product. They are industrial paint and and you brush it on. It spreads out nice and doesn't leave brush marks. You can probably get away with one coat. It's about $50 in a 1 litre but that goes a long way......way more than Tremclad. Also you can get a liquid rust etcher to spray on with a squirt bottle first....eats off the orange rust and neutralizes it so the paint sticks better.
Did you try soaking them in cider?

·
Registered
756 Posts
No...hadnt heard of that one! However I really doubt it would have worked. In the end it was the oils from my skin that lifted it off....that stuff got into every pore and crack it could find and bonded to my skin!! So much for reading the instructions after I painted!!

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I cant remember if it was sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore but I'll try to remember to look tomorrow.
They have a paint specific for propane tanks that I have been using on my anhydrous tanks for about 5 years now.
It too me is unbelievable at how well it holds its gloss, you cant tell a difference between the tanks I painted last year and the ones that were 5 years ago.
And get this, I used no primer and it was still only 55$ a gallon last year

Looked it up online! It's this stuff, cheaper at wall-mart!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Propane-Tank-Paint-Gloss-White-Gallon/390313072?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=5847&adid=22222222228255457025&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=301425370963&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-539095701288&wl5=9021000&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125216038&wl11=online&wl12=390313072&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnKHlBRDLARIsAMtMHDEyB9EixkBeaS_pF-NrVYNXkFXAd2KGg0LkP9HJy_U7Ee-HCgDZqkkaAlLCEALw_wcB

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I used to work on drilling rigs we always used Endura paint and the shop near me that does blasting and painting uses it too. They paint a lot of grain trailers, nH3 tanks, and a variety of other ag and industrial machinery. The Endura used to hold up well and keep its gloss on the rig even with it being scrubbed almost daily. They are based out of Edmonton too. Not sure on the price point but I'm sure it's likely a lot more than that propane tank paint.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Not being able to find the Van Sickle paint anywhere near me, I emailed the company, apparently because they dont have bilingual labels on their products [sigh] they cannot sell in Canada.
Endura paint is priced around 2 to 3 hundred a gallon!!
So it looks like tremclad or rustoleum is gonna be what I'll end up using [about $50 a gallon]

Oh, I gotta look into the KBS rust seal as well......

·
Registered
170 Posts
We reconditioned an old guys grain trailer in our shop, new panels, sandblast and paint. He couldn't understand why paint was so much money. He asked us to do an experiment for him.
He had us leave two wheels not painted with the Endura and he provided Tremclad for use to use. One wheel we primed with the epoxy primer we used on the balance of the trailer and the other Test wheel we left bare sandblasted, and painted them both with the Tremclad.

The wheel end painted with Tremclad on the bare metal started to look rusty before the winter was over. The Tremclad over the primer did much better as far as the rust goes but the pant was dull with in a year.

So of the guys around here use Cloverdale because cost per Liter is less. Paint needs to be bought based on coverage not cost per Liter. Usually the better the paint the more solids in it and the greater the coverage.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks YHMARK, that's good Info.

Maybe a little late for me... I cheaped out and bought a gallon of Tremclad from our local UFA...
I just steam cleaned it, let the water dry overnight and hammered the paint right on as thick as my sprayer would spray it, 2 or 3 coats by the time I was done farting around.. [and realised again why I like unpainted "rat rods"....]
Got away with only a few runs, looks pretty good, glossy.
[It was kind of a breezy day]
But anyways it's all done, hopefully get it filled up and let diesel prices go wild.... :( 20190414_160422_1555281906307.jpg
20190414_161419_1555281923653.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
I never thought to add if using paints like Tremclad Toluene can be added to speed up the cure time. Less sagging or runs as the paint is setting up faster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts