The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Forum Sponsor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are your straw chopper blades breaking or wearing out too quickly? Getting clumpy crop mat? Long or inconsistent stalks?
If the answer is yes to any of these, Straw Claw chopper blades are your solution. Manufactured in the USA by Kondex Corporation, Straw Claw is quickly gaining attention as the best value in residue management and product performance!

Straw Claw features a patented self-serrating design that sharpens as it cuts. Gained from our Tungstrong wear enhancement that controls the wear pattern of the blade edge. Because this delivers an easier cut, it also reduces fuel consumption.

With an even-wearing blade, you'll see less chipping and knife damage for better maintained rotor balance and reduced maintenance.

But one of the greatest features is its impact on residue management. Straw Claw creates smaller, more consistent crop particles than traditional blades. The result is a thinner, more evenly distributed crop mat that maximizes ground contact for the fastest microbial breakdown. Check out the comparison photos showing cut quality and particle size.

Learn more: Straw Claw Chopper Blades | Improved Residue Management | Kondex

Patent number: 9,686,911

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Interesting, I am always looking for a longer wearing chopper blade, and rounded ones don't work in a Claas so that straw claw would seem a good idea.

Do you make a kit for a Claas 780 with pro-chop and what would that cost? Do you have dealers in Western Canada?

·
Forum Sponsor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We tested several versions of this blade before going to market with the current Straw Claw blade. The style offered had the best results in terms of both product life and performance.

·
Forum Sponsor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, I am always looking for a longer wearing chopper blade, and rounded ones don't work in a Claas so that straw claw would seem a good idea.

Do you make a kit for a Claas 780 with pro-chop and what would that cost? Do you have dealers in Western Canada?
Our blades are currently available for John Deere combines (50, 60, 70, and S Series); however, we hope to expand for other popular makes/models in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
2,650 Posts
We tested several versions of this blade before going to market with the current Straw Claw blade. The style offered had the best results in terms of both product life and performance.
You’re not familiar with flax straw are you, lol?!

·
Super Moderator
2,650 Posts
Our blades are currently available for John Deere combines (50, 60, 70, and S Series); however, we hope to expand for other popular makes/models in the near future.
There is more bitching about Claas chopper hammers here than all the rest put together, you have a very captive market.
It would be the Sunnybrook Claas impeller equivalent marketing coup!

·
Forum Sponsor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You’re not familiar with flax straw are you, lol?!
Performance tests were completed in green-stem soybeans, which are also more fibrous/harder to cut. We had very positive results.
We do continually test our products, and may look at testing in flax in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
2,650 Posts
Performance tests were completed in green-stem soybeans, which are also more fibrous/harder to cut. We had very positive results.
We do continually test our products, and may look at testing in flax in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.
Flax is about like trying to cut wire, a lot of flax is just dropped and then baled or burnt as subsequent operations often become a nightmare if you don’t.
Your design may cut fine enough to help the issue but you never know until you try.

I need 108 Claas hammers for fall, I’d be happy to assist in testing!:)

·
Forum Sponsor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flax is about like trying to cut wire, a lot of flax is just dropped and then baled or burnt as subsequent operations often become a nightmare if you don’t.
Your design may cut fine enough to help the issue but you never know until you try.

I need 108 Claas hammers for fall, I’d be happy to assist in testing!:)
Thanks Don, appreciate your insight. Many of our engineers are also current/past farmers, so they have a much broader understanding of these crops. Send me your contact info and I'll pass it along: [email protected].

·
Registered
713 Posts
I gather that is soybeans?

How are your Straw Claws in rocks?
Maybe not part of your testing but sometimes part of mine!
If they will turn 2" rocks into pea gravel I'll take two sets...

·
Forum Sponsor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If they will turn 2" rocks into pea gravel I'll take two sets...
Yes, photo is in soybeans (traditional blade vs. Straw Claw).
Our testers did not intentionally eat rocks, so I can't say that they'll make pea gravel for you. We did find that the controlled wear pattern helped prevent blade damage/chipping - but again, can't say whether they withstood 2" rocks. If you're replacing these frequently anyway, may be worth trying 1 set. If you'd like a quote, email us at [email protected] with your machine model.

·
Super Moderator
2,650 Posts
Our testers did not intentionally eat rocks, so I can't say that they'll make pea gravel for you. We did find that the controlled wear pattern helped prevent blade damage/chipping - but again, can't say whether they withstood 2" rocks.
With that much improvement and assuming all conditions were identical Straw Claw might have a chance in flax and in other crops perhaps even the slower chopper speed might be adequate.

The rock thing was a bit of a joke, nothing can completely stand up to rocks but if they damage less and don’t break off that’s a plus.

As pointed out above Claas needs this improvement, your market is captive!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts