The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
set at 250 lbs. of urea, shaft speed was running about 430 rpms and working fine. Then it became erratic from 15 rpm to 230. Now it's about 230 max and that stays consistent, doesn't jump around.

Meter spins free by hand, we've change oil filter, swapped out meter hydraulic motor with solenoid block, and pulled the meter solenoid on the hydraulic block on conveyor side. No change.

So we're kinda stumped as to what to try next.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Sensor?
We have also had issues with the gears where you change the chain from low to mid to high range. Had one spinning on shaft.

·
Registered
326 Posts
What range is it in? I've had the odd time it wouldn't hold rate or fluctuate because the range it was in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What range is it in? I've had the odd time it wouldn't hold rate or fluctuate because the range it was in.
Replaced slip clutch, as well. It was in mid range when it started acting up. We switched it to high range thinking that might change up the hydraulic draw some. Didn't help.

I guess I could try swap out a shaft speed sensor from tank 3 since that's never been used.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Maybe your calibration factor accidentally got corrupted in trying to fix the problem. If the speed is now consistent that’s likely a good thing. I think I would recalibrate the meter even just to rule that possibility out.

When it was erratic the slip clutch was likely unable to get the meter started again, perhaps after a prolonged stop with the fans turning slow speed at engine idle. The meter can get overloaded occasionally while idling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe your calibration factor accidentally got corrupted in trying to fix the problem. If the speed is now consistent that’s likely a good thing. I think I would recalibrate the meter even just to rule that possibility out.

When it was erratic the slip clutch was likely unable to get the meter started again, perhaps after a prolonged stop with the fans turning slow speed at engine idle. The meter can get overloaded occasionally while idling.
Just swapped sensor and did a calibration. Nothing changed.
When I lower the rate to 150 it adjusts down to that and holds fine.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Pull the auger and change bearings. I’ve actually seen it where bearings seem fine but want to jam at high speeds. Also if this is a plastic auger it maybe wore enough product is being pinched in it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull the auger and change bearings. I’ve actually seen it where bearings seem fine but want to jam at high speeds. Also if this is a plastic auger it maybe wore enough product is being pinched in it.
We did pull auger bearings were new a couple years ago and seem perfect now but maybe at higher speeds develop a catch? Watching it during calibration, it spins right along.

·
Registered
852 Posts
So another dumb question but could tank lid be leaking? Get someone to ride on top of tank and listen while you seed for air leaks. You develop way more tank pressure while seeding due to back pressure in drill.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
You do have your sprockets set in high speed? The rate your’re looking for isn’t attainable on medium speed I don’t think. It could also be a built up ring of fertilizer at the meter discharge orfice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You do have your sprockets set in high speed? The rate your’re looking for isn’t attainable on medium speed I don’t think. It could also be a built up ring of fertilizer at the meter discharge orfice.
We did have them set to medium and it held 250lbs fine, but we did switch to high and recalibrate.
It was about 430rpms, now it's about 250rpm.
Lid is fine and that wouldn't affect shaft speed, I wouldn't think.
We did pull the auger out and that looked fine but we didn't Empty tank or check metering orifice.
When we take the chain off the hyd motor,a little girl could turn the meter it spins so easy.
Wondering if it's a hyd issue, but don't know where to start, when the other 2 meters work fine.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Lid leaking to much air will affect the auger. It will try and push product back into tank. Tank 4 always seemed the worse when we ran a 6550 years ago. And sometimes we just had to slow down when we had a 6550

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
If the slip clutch isn’t slipping it’s likely a bad calibration but if it is slipping it could be a restricted orfice, which looks like this with the passage hardly larger than the shaft beyond the flighting .
Recalibraterate if you clean that out. The white is the inner wall of the meter tube.

4C565C16-15FA-4E02-877B-B79E6C440275.jpeg

·
Registered
875 Posts
What auger do you run? For 250+ I'd recommend the High Output auger, things won't have to spin as fast with it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not sure what year this 7700 tank is, but Bourgault has service bulletins listed on their website and one of them addresses meter fluctuation. Something about not enough backpressure for some tractors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts