The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for NH bidirectional owners.

I've always wanted a bidi tractor. And I keep trying to come up with a way to pencil one in. But I can never seem to justify it. The biggest thing that's throwing a wrench in the plans is the fact that I drag around my shredder all winter. Use it every couple days and thought it would be to much of a inconvenience to drag behind a bidi with the way they're set up.

That being said, how do you guys who run them make everything a smooth operation. Do you have a separate tractor for a bale processor, or hook/unhook whenever needed? If you do run your BP behind them how are they for visibility and manuverability?

We used to have a 276 years ago, got switched out to a fwa when dad went to upgrade and the shredder came shortly there after. Pretty much only run one tractor all winter, been doing things a bit different this year and have my BP on a different tractor and my chore tractor is nearing a upgrade as well. So started thinking about my bidi dreams again.

Any insight on how people use them on the livestock operation would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
We don’t have one but From a couple guys who have a bi-di and from the dealer they say not to run a bale processor on one unless you like cleaning out the rad every couple of bales.

We have two tractors running everyday in the winter. Bale processor gets hooked up and unhooked everyday.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Reversing fan, and pull it from the engine end. No problems with the rad. This is on the TV series. The 9030 and older, in my opinion wouldn't have a heavy enough draw bar on the engine end to handle a processor.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Reversing fan, and pull it from the engine end. No problems with the rad. This is on the TV series. The 9030 and older, in my opinion wouldn't have a heavy enough draw bar on the engine end to handle a processor.
9030 and older I believe only had a hydraulic PTO on the engine end... so i dont think there was any way you could get the power outta them that way anyway, plus I think it's a rare option.

I have a blue 276, I love it but I primarily grain farm. Where I grew up we had a small feedlot and cow calf operation, dad always had a bidi starting with a versy 256, then a 276, then a 9030. And with that was a case 2090. The 2090 was primarily on the feed wagon and hooked up to the bale processor when we needed it, the bidi was strictly loader work for us.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Spose it would depend on how big and how often you use the processor. I have a smaller one and just leave it hooked up most of the time. I probably use it 2days a wk average in the winter.

I dont have it on a bisexual and know they dont recommend it.
Would be super handy tho!

They are super handy units and if I could in any way justify one I would own one.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Pretty common for at least the older TV's to develop leaks around the articulation joint. Not sure if there was ever a fix as our TV140 got burnt around 1100 hours - none of us lost any sleep over losing it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've heard the TV's have some problems. We never personally had one. But love the 256,276 and 9030. The cummins engine in the red one was bulletproof, the ford engines never gave us problems. My brother has a 9030 and has had to replace 2 or 3 axle shafts. But other than that and pins and bushings, we love them. My brother did articulation joints recently and theres enough slack in wires and hoses to just slide front and back away enough to change out wear components.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So seems as most people would run another tractor for a shredder. How hard is it to put the loader on and off, did the system improve from the 276 I'd hope.

If I went to the tv series I'd need to be able to put it to more use than just feeding cows, has anyone ever run a disc head with it, how are they? Or would i have enough power to pull a 15' discbine with it? Dont need to go super fast, usually cut around the 6-7mph mark.

·
Registered
335 Posts
We ran a bisexual on a dual haybine system a few years back, pretty sure it was two 14' heads, one pushing in front and one pulled along off to the side. Could cover acres ok, speed was lower than a discbine, but acres per day was completely handicapped by plugged rads. Would have to blow it out twice a day sometimes. Not too sure which model it was (I think I was in high school then) but it was a complete NH setup with power unit, loader and two hay headers. Traded it on a JD self propelled discbine and were much happier in regards to hay cutting and barley swathing, but do miss the fantastic loader capability

·
Registered
130 Posts
A little off topic but I always thought the perfect livestock tractor would be a 20000 lb wheel loader with sharp ag tires and a pto for the processor

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little off topic but I always thought the perfect livestock tractor would be a 20000 lb wheel loader with sharp ag tires and a pto for the processor
I defiantly agree with you there. If I could get a pto and hitch on a payloader that would be the cats meow. For now the next closest thing is a bi-di.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have close to 14K hrs on a TV140. Push & pull 2 18ft haybine all summer. Has the bale shedder on it all winter. Dumped a few bucks into it a couple summer ago to fix oil leaks. Last winter the eng oil pump went, it was due for a bottom end & I replaced the turbo when it was in the shop 20+ grand later I got it back. Just put 4 new tires on it. As long as I have cattle I will have one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I defiantly agree with you there. If I could get a pto and hitch on a payloader that would be the cats meow. For now the next closest thing is a bi-di.
How many PTO hp do you need. Those payloaders have quite a bit of hydraulic flow. A Deere 544k puts out 50gpm at 1000psi. We have run our graincart 22" auger on less gpm than that. Higher pressure. But if you really wanted to, AtomJet or someone similar could add a big hydraulic pump to that motor, then mount a hydraulic pto and hitch out the back. Tub grinder? No. Bale king? Maybe. Can one of those put out 100hp? I dunno. Project for someone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We feed cows with two tractors. a FWA that has a feed wagon hooked to it all winter and a NH Tv6070. The bi does all the loader work (loading silage, handling bales, cleaning snow etc). The bi di also pulls the bale processor. 99% of the bale processing is shredding straw for bedding. we shed about 8 bales ever 2 or 3 days depending on the weather. Having an articulating tractor on a bale shredder is very handy for directing straw into calf shelters or around the corner of a building or windbreak. Instead of backing up and going forward again (fwa) , just turn the steering wheel to position the processor. We don't clean the rad very often, not a problem in the winter. The one annoying thing about shredding with it is the position of the hydraulic levers. Our processor is a left hand discharge, and the levers are on the right side of the console which makes it awkward to look over your left shoulder. but you get used to it. We have stalled the tractor trying to shred a frozen bale. but that is rare , straw was baled wet. The tv6070 is a better tractor than the tv145. they corrected the problems we had on the 145 on the newer 6070.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a IT28g cat wheel loader, its not the machine for cattle!!! Good visibility, lots of hydraulics, but my son told me he'd shoot the tires off it in spring as ruts get at least hip deep! And not very user friendly, a skid steer with tracks can carve circles around it. I use a S300, and a tractor hooked to processor, works for me, and I'd never be without a skid steer....ever!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That was almost another idea I had was a larger skid steer with tracks. Had a skid once and liked it for a lot of things and hated it for a lot of things. It was a older model though. My biggest issue with a skid is capacity.

I have a 7' bucket on the tractor I use now and takes 3 or 4 buckets to fill my larger feeders at times. Dont know how big of bucket they make for a skid that I wouldnt be doing a ton of trips to fill feeders. It doesnt weigh up all that much but is just a bunch of fluffy stuff. And at the same time I'd like one that could lift a lot to be able to do manure with it.

Also thought of a compact wheel loader in the same thought. Dont know what the pros and cons would be for them but I can see tire size for floatation being a issue right away when it gets muddy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts