The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Wonder what it will cost to build these days? million $ tractor coming right up. Likely well over that. I think I read they plan them being 200,000lbs. Pull more than the 747?
That’s what I thought when I first read it, but I think they were actually saying that the axles they were off of a 200000 lb loader. So I guess that they can be potentially up to that.

· Registered
60 Posts
If he's going to go with mining components, maybe an electric drive would be ideal. Generator and motors would be heavy, but weight is important for that much horsepower. Drive train would last forever.
I have always wondered if you had an electric drive tractor that you might be able to have a powered axle on an air cart. I imagine a fully loaded 1300 bu cart would probably weigh in over 60000lbs, say 2/3rds that is on the air cart axle, and with big buds math of 100lbs a hp you could be looking 400hp or so extra. Not really sure how this would actually pan out, you would potentially run into issues with the cart almost empty but most guys run half the year with over half a tank. Or you may have problems with having high voltage auxiliary connectors being handled by farmers. Just an idea.

· Premium Member
6,272 Posts
And then we wonder why we have compaction. You could really see it in our area in the seeding that happened after the rain in the middle of May this year on heavy clay. The guys with 900 plus bushel carts that seeded wheat after the rain had wheat that was 8-12 inches shorter where the cart wheels went versus where the wings of the drill went especially if the ground was low ground. A Neighbor who had a 550 bushel bourgault cart did not have near as bad of a issue. It seems like if it is wet there is not enough rubber under these massive carts to keep the compaction down.

· Registered
6,647 Posts
Those weights came out of the online brochures. I don’t think I made an error. I checked into it last fall when they were contemplating adding a new drill with a 1300 bushel tank on tires.

Normally we start scouting things out a few days too early with an aftermarket 4 track 7950 filled with 1/2 loads and those conditions slowly transition into decent running in less than a week. Maybe a 13000 bushel air cart on 8 tires won’t be at too much of a disadvantage with only 1/3 size loads in it during the first few days? We’ll see.

· Registered
60 Posts
I was trying to keep a conservative estimate but it is absolutely insane how much weight is on those things. If you could put power behind that weight it would be a game changer. They could make a bunch of big electric drive tractors with oversized engines and run potentially over 1000hp to the cart. Probably would average less than that but still a lot. Absolutely insane if you think about it.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts