The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our farm has grown quite a bit recently picking up another 1,000 acres over the winter. The 16 row 30 in 1770nt just isn’t cutting it anymore.

We run a s780 with a 16 row corn head so I don’t just want to upgrade to a 24 row. There is a nice 32 row dB 80 exact emerge planter about 2 1/2 hours away that I just went to look at today.

Holy cow that is the biggest piece of equipment I’ve seen in person lol! I know everyone says the frame is really heavy but you don’t get a real sense of it until you lay eyes on it.

Here’s a couple concerns I have buying this thing and maybe you guys could clear some up. We are no-tillers so we don’t have a high horsepower tractor. The biggest tractor we have is an 8285r. Will it pull this planter with 600 gal fertilizer? Would chipping it help any? I know I read somewhere that a guy is pulling a dB 90 with 8285r and claiming to get along fine. We’d have to install another scv remote for hydraulics. The guy that is selling it pulled it with a 9570rt. Said it was overkill for it.

Any input for a first time buyer of a large planter?

·
Registered
384 Posts
No idea on the power requirements of that planter but if it’s as heavy as your think imagine pulling two of wat you have plus the extra weight
Personally I think with the extra acres and the bigger planter you’d be better with the extra horse power and weight of a tractot that will handle it in wetter soft conditions as well as dry. Or rent on for a time.

·
Registered
905 Posts
John Deere says 300hp minimum. Now with that said they also say 180hp for a 12/24 1790 but I pulled one for a few years with 135hp. Wished I had 180hp though during that time.

If you dont have any hills, I believe you'll be just fine. If you have some hills and what not, you'll be wanting some more tractor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If we do pull the trigger the next time we trade tractors we will definitely get a bigger one that can pull it at 8-10mph maybe an 8400r. That said this 8285r pulls our 500gal 1770nt using only half the kw bar even in hard pulling conditions. Up hill it uses 3/4.

We are mostly flat with small knolls. We have a couple fields that depending on weather could go to corn that have some pretty big hills. That’s my worry but even if I had to crawl up them with the planter up I think in a couple rounds I’d be done with them. The seller is saying that at 10 mph he’s doing 102 acres on the area counter. So at 6 mph about 60-70. That’s highly attractive to us. Renting may not be a bad idea. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
195 Posts
how are you going 10mph and still keeping accuracy. 8285r will be fine unless big hills and soft spots. got a neighbour pulling a db90 with an 8370rt and want to get a db120 the hp is usually not the issue its the weight and traction. can get a 9r series cheaper or same price as 8r and will have way bigger machine so could trade it and wont cost you a lot of money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a exactemerge planter. You can find videos on it on YouTube. It has a whole new meter and delivery system to plant at 10 mph.

If weight and traction is an issue we’ll add more weight.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
It will plant at 10 mph and it will do it accurately right up until it hits something and tears a row unit off. I have a neighbor with this issue.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It’s a exactemerge planter. You can find videos on it on YouTube. It has a whole new meter and delivery system to plant at 10 mph.

If weight and traction is an issue we’ll add more weight.
a db80 with those specs is not light, and pulling 600 gallons of liquid your tractor will sink in way to much, your better off trading tractor to a tracked unit. in a dry spring it won't be a problem but you will be pissed in a soft wet field.

with a bit heavier tractor its easier to pull it up to those high speeds.
and its not a issue to plant 10mph with a exactemerge, my friend does it at 12mph and his corn looks awesome just need a bit of a smooth field finish in fall or drag harrows out in spring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we farm in sw Kansas and are in no-till conditions so sinking in soft plowed dirt isn’t really a concern. 90% of the time we are dry on top even under the residue. Which is why I’m not to concerned about sinking in soft spots. We do have mud holes but you can spot them and go around.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you are ok planting at 4-5 mph it should work. At 8-10 mph gonna need more power. Is the fertilizer on the planter or tractor? Tanks on the tractor helps other question would be if the planter is heavy enough to get good seed placement with no till. I know guys here have trouble in heavy soil getting enough weight on the wings

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah we figure we’re not gonna get above 6mph with our current tractor. As big as that frame is we will have no trouble with weight getting the seed in the ground.

·
Registered
973 Posts
It will plant at 10 mph and it will do it accurately right up until it hits something and tears a row unit off. I have a neighbor with this issue.
One of my friends helps a bto and he sent me a few vids of them hualin ass, and then pics of a few row units ripped off,mounts cracked and wheels fd up.
They finally just started running a bit slower but the soybeans they planted fast seem pretty good. Didnt look at any corn but he said it was impressive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts