The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a bit of a bad season here in the UK. So it got be thinking my old (1988 model yr) 1640 Goodyears are pretty tired (excuse pun) what is the sensible widest tyre/rim I can replace it with currently 23.1x26 and 11.00 r16. Duals are a no no for width head only 14 ft local roads 11ft. The weather has been so bad guys silaging can't mow the grass far less pick it up and some fields look like something from World War 1.

Cheers BB

·
Registered
26 Posts
i ran our 1460 here in ireland on 26 * 28 s .i got the 3 inch spacers from case ih and turned the wheels in.(the rim is off set).machine width well under 12 foot.very manouverable and in 4000 hrs of harvesting on heavey land only got it stuck once. john manners or kevin kirby will help.
cheers.
andy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Be careful with big rubber and/or mud with a 1640, it isn't a very heavy transmission, take a look at a 1660 transmission and there is quite a difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already repalced a couple of bits and pieces in the gearbox. However I would reason larger tyre equipment would cause less damage as the combine will not create as deep tracks therefore cause less strain on the gearbox.

Axialandy I was going to have a word with Manners as I could take the pickup and trailer and get down and back in the day 600mile+ round trip

Any thoughts on me being right or wrong.

Cheers BB

·
Registered
26 Posts
beltbreaker;i purchased a 1680 rear axle and a few bits from him a few years ago.easy to deal with but bring a few tools and a bit of help with you.he had quite a few axle flows for breaking at the time,most on 26*28 s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts