The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I vaced and swept two of my silos out. I learned that my local co-ops and private grain dealers bins are plumb full of old crop ! Mostly soybeans. Normally it would be on barges by now floating down the river. I asked if there was any chance of moving grain out before harvest, he didn't hesitate to say no way ! I would like to know how much old crop beans in storage in other parts of the country and Canada. I'm already planning on less beans next year. There is going to be a lot of bunkers with tarps put up this fall here. I'm glad I have on farm storage for 80% of my grain.. Might be a lot of corn let stand till spring.....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Local elevators were supposed to get 40 and 80 rail cars respectively last month - they got none and are chuck full.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
In this area, a lot. COOPS are chucked pretty full yet, and we have a massive crop coming. Some extra farm storage has gone up and local elevators have added about 2 million in new storage this year. There will also be close to 2 million extra bushels of corn as 8000 acres of seed corn production ground did not get awarded this year.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Last week I vaced and swept two of my silos out. I learned that my local co-ops and private grain dealers bins are plumb full of old crop ! Mostly soybeans. Normally it would be on barges by now floating down the river. I asked if there was any chance of moving grain out before harvest, he didn't hesitate to say no way ! I would like to know how much old crop beans in storage in other parts of the country and Canada. I'm already planning on less beans next year. There is going to be a lot of bunkers with tarps put up this fall here. I'm glad I have on farm storage for 80% of my grain.. Might be a lot of corn let stand till spring.....

Trade and tariff fights with China effect?

·
Registered
681 Posts
canadian elevators are probably filling their pockets left and right, can't ship more anyway because of the railroads and they know competitors are stuck in the same boat, so might as well widen basis and ride this cash train. We can't ship anything down south anyways because prices suck there too. Farmers stuck for storage are going to be *ssr*aped by elevators.
soys in canada are nothing to special to brag about and neither is corn (in western canada that is)
if prices don't improve by march we're adding storage I think. can always give it away another year then.

crop is slow moving here too, but harvest was earlier than usual.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Have not had a soy in the bin in a year, only have a hand full of rr1 acres in for seed stock, looked at prices the other day and just about had tears of joy I only have 180 acres in!
Didn't plant an acre of corn this year, first time in 13? Years and while the price ain't so bad compared to the last few years I'm not crying about not having them either!

Everything here is chuck full of wheat though and 100% of this years crop is getting locked up tight in the bin

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thank you Trump? :22:

When do those cheques start showing up in the mail? Did they include some cash for extra storage!

Guess I haven’t checked the trump page on here, but I don’t think he’s lost much support among farmers. Are we happy with the prices because of this, no. We understood it was likely going to cost us money, but feel in the long run it’ll be better.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Guess I haven’t checked the trump page on here, but I don’t think he’s lost much support among farmers. Are we happy with the prices because of this, no. We understood it was likely going to cost us money, but feel in the long run it’ll be better.

Agreed. I actually contacted about 80% of my soybeans as this was anticipated. Usually dont contract more than 40-50% if any. But got a tip from a guy. He usually steers me right. The year we are having was making me super nervous but seems to be working out.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I contracted way more soybeans than I normally would have back in January and February, thought my one low contract I did was going to be a bad move, well right now $9.00 bu. beans don't look quite so bad... All the rest were above that.

Not sure about bunker piling here, beans look great but the corn got hit hard by excessive rain in June so yields going to be all over the place, some looks good but anything in low areas or where water came out of side hills not so great, even worse west of us, doubt some fields will make 120 bu./ac. where it stayed wet most of the early summer.

Around here at least I think quite a few guys have begun to contract new crop grain over the winter or for corn will do one with an average price through the co-op, in that case they average out the weeks from January to June or July, depending on which one you pick. Have to lock in the basis at some point but this year that was the high point for corn prices.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We can’t get nitrogen 46-0-0 here and the excuse is that it’s all going to the states from Canada to pile it on all the corn acres you guys are planning next year.

Things are going to get a little weird in the next few years.

Feed Barley price in the peace country was higher than Lethbridge a few weeks ago. 1000 km away from here and usually it’s priced in Lethbridge minus freight cost to get there. So normally $1.74/bushel or around $80 a tone less than Lethbridge price. Barley is all going to China to replace the protein that they are missing from the soybeans that China won’t buy from the US this year.

The seed companies want us to book canola seed but can’t give prices?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We can’t get nitrogen 46-0-0 here and the excuse is that it’s all going to the states from Canada to pile it on all the corn acres you guys are planning next year.

Things are going to get a little weird in the next few years.

Feed Barley price in the peace country was higher than Lethbridge a few weeks ago. 1000 km away from here and usually it’s priced in Lethbridge minus freight cost to get there. So normally $1.74/bushel or around $80 a tone less than Lethbridge price. Barley is all going to China to replace the protein that they are missing from the soybeans that China won’t buy from the US this year.

The seed companies want us to book canola seed but can’t give prices?
All the corn acres... Likely more than this year, but sounds as if something else is going on.

They’ll return to soybeans. Maybe not from us, but they enjoy the meal and oil too much to keep much of their source as barley...I’d think hard about contracting next years barely early if prices are that good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts