The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
No, but we installed two of their all-crop rotors for use this summer and fall in wheat, edible beans, and corn. I'm excited to see how they work since they claim pretty impressive performance gains and they have a money back guarantee. A lot of guys in the Dakotas use them for edible beans but the all crop rotor is supposed to do well in everything. We'll see!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
lcgriff1 i noticed on a search for the bison rotors that you were interested in them, how have they worked out for you, i'd like to try atleast one in our axial flows for wheat, milo and beans.

·
Registered
196 Posts
They have worked well for us so far. We used them in 130 bu wheat cutting clear to the ground to bale the straw. We couldn't tell a lot of difference in speed with it compared to the standard but the rotor loss was a lot less. In edible beans they are awesome!! The crack very few beans, have much less rotor loss, are great in tough conditions, and enable impressive speed gains compared to the standard. We have yet to use them in our 200 bu+ corn but I don't see why they won't work great in that too. I think they use less fuel to run also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is a Bison Rotor? This year we got two new 8010's, one with an AFX and one with a Gen II rotor. We didn't notice any difference in wheat and had problems in Edible beans (breaking and bending veins, wrapping around the rotor). The vines wrapped around the rotor so tight in the back it broke the cage. Dealer replaced the cage but then bent the input shaft on the rotor putting it in so we havn't got to use it yet in soybeans.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't think the dealer can be blamed in this case as the required rotor removal tool that the dealers had to purchase was not designed correctly. Just recently new parts were shipped to the dealers to correct this problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Owner inventor of the Bison rotor stoped by the shop a few weeks ago and was trying to sell me on one of them. He was very hard to understand but he did have great Claims and stories about them running in africa or somthing like that. He had a bison rotor for a Massy Combine on the trailer It really did look like a mean sucker I hinted to him he should drop one off here so we can try throw one in and try it out but he dint like that idea. Dont be bad mouthin yur dealer about bendin the rotor I think Every Dealer did it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was unaware there was a special tool for removing rotors. Is it different removing the rotor on a 70/8010 than any other axial flow??? Otherwise a set of pallet forks and a chain always did the trick here. So what is this rotor removal tool anyway??

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I think the "input" shaft that got bent is the front bearing shaft, not the drive input. I wont allow my rotor to be hoisted by that front shaft as I understand the new way to do it is by holding the whole rotor with the front bearing shaft. Too risky for me and not enough gain to make that risk worth while. IMO.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I understand.
Sometimes I have a tough time following myself.

Ok, I have'nt seen the tool first hand yet. But I was told through conversation that the tool in question that is used to install the rotor at dealers nowdays, mostly uses the front bearing support shaft to hold up and guide the rotor into position. If it is not designed right, which it sounds like the first ones were'nt, it could overstress that front rotor bearing shaft and bend it.

How'z that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts