The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a patch of peas that about ready. i have the choice of either an sts or 9610 to cut them with. the beater is sped up on the 10 and im sure i will want to slow it down if i use it. im not talking alot of acres here so just running the one that will do the best job is my priority. any one have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Brewmax, I cut black eye peas with a 9610, the crop was not a good one but did a good job of what was there, sorry I cannot remember what the setting were on the machine as it was back in 98.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Brewmax, I'm not sure if you need the slow down kit for the STS to harvest these, but I know Colby Implement has one you could probably get your hands on extremely cheap, if it's something you're interested in give me a call I'll get you in touch with the right guy.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Whether cutting black-eyed or purple hull peas, you definitely want to lean towards a cylinder combine, even if desicating them.

Settings required for field peas of these types requires extremely wide concave gaps and very slow cylinder speeds to prevent "juicing" (smashing) the stems and cracking the peas. If your peas are anything like the ones at harvest here, the stems are green as a gourd (reminds me of watermelon or cucumber vines) and the pods so dry they snap right open when just looking at them. Because of these conditions, the twisting effect created by axial type rotor combines juices the heck out of the vines and plugs over their sieves. A cylinder is more capable of running much slower with a much wider concave gap due to its higher inertia cylinder(s), making them much more effective in these types of conditions (even in green stem soy beans). They have less juicing and higher grain quality. When harvesting the peas in our area, it looks like manure falling out the back of a combine. All peas in my area are cut with either Deere cylinder machines or lexions. Any axial type combine owner has at least an old conventional combine for their peas.

·
Registered
530 Posts
We have many acres here of black eyes. We dont use combines however, not to say that it wont work but there are some things to consider. THey usually use an uprooting rig here to sever the roots completley so the beans will dry setting them down in a row as well. The bean harvesters here hace no augers to crack the beans but do have spike tooth cylinders and shaker tables and walkers for seperating. I dont know the gaps of the spikes nor the speed of the cylinders however. These machines are over 50 years old and everyone here woulndt think twice of using any other, granted the yields here are higher than most areas so cracking would be a bigger issue with a combine.
Ideally a conventional machine would be your best bet, not an sts, simply because the machines that do these crops normally are designed the same as walker machines.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Any cylinder machine going in to edible peas and beans is going to be equipped with a 2 speed (high / low) threshing cylinder in order to obtain the necessary speed reduction (just like a corn version). Most of the pod threshing is going to take place in the feederhouse.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys looks like ill just try both and go from there. ill let you know what comes of it. it wont be for a week or so looks like

1 - 10 of 10 Posts