The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After my first year with the 7700 bourgault tank I was quite happy with it in general. One problem I had was after the calibration it always seemed to put the product on way too heavy. Seemed like it was always 20 percent heavy and I would have to decrease the lbs on the x30 till it was right. Recalibration didn't seem to help but once I got it putting proper amount on it was consistent. We have the load cells on it and it was easy to tell how much it was putting on. Did anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I seemed to be 10% out, I would adjust cal factor than it was perfect. At the show last week, they told me they had some issues with the scale calibration being out. I never did weigh truck do check that.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I have a 6700 with the same PDM pro meters as a 7000 series and it's not always accurate. Seems to under apply fert & over apply seed. I usually just adjust the cal numbers a bit

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't the cal numbers adjust when you do a calibration? I thought they did on our x20 if you save it.
That is what I don't get. After the calibration it should know the weight of product with each rpm. Seemed to always be off especially the high output auger. The first tank after calibration seemed to be bad and I would have to drop it. I relied more on the use of the GPS acres load cells size of tank and figuring out the proper shaft rpm than what the screen actually was telling me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other thing we liked with the new series is the saddle tank. Used it for inoculant and canola. The pallet platform was handy also. We just ordered the bulk boom so we don't have to bring skidsteer to field. Also you can run canola right empty to figure exact lbs an acre your getting on and can add a minibulk in middle of field without bothering someone to meet you at end.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I also think trimming the calibration factors is the only way to overcome inaccuracies, no matter if they are large or small.

I'm inclined to think that the meters rotate a bit too fast during an auto calibration, causing the bulk density to drop in the charge zone to the screw, as compared to field operation.

I think the scale is fairly accurate when the cart is towed straight for a distance before parking. With load cells within the spindles perhaps thrust loads from camber, toe, and acerman are at play. I have moved the scale 400 Lbs by moving the cart.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Make sure you do the extra step to save your new cal factor after it shows you the screen with both your old and new factor on it. Are you zeroing your electronic scale with an empty pail on it?

My load cells on my 7950 read 7% high so I have to adjust weigh when entering my amounts into X30. Pretty sure there is a cal # in scale monitor that can be adjusted I just haven't bothered to do it yet.:eek:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Is there an adjustment on the new carts for calibration speed like the 6000 series carts? I think the manual tell you how to adjust so calibration is about the same speed as normal seeding speed to make it more accurate.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Are you guys really happy with, after spending what we have spent, on having to "tweek" cal numbers and scale numbers? I know I'm not, I did this year to keep going and not stop, but when we do a calibration, it should be accurate.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes. It will calibrate at whatever speed you enter as your manual speed in the x30.

Couple things to look at when calibrating the 7000 series carts. Do not use the load cell to calibrate. If I am reading this correctly, you are using the load cell to calibrate the tAnks? Not recommended.

Verify that the x30 tank auger matches the auger that you actually have installed in the tank.

In the x30, Click on the tank, then the product name. It will give you the range of application rates you can use. Verify that you have the chain on the correct range to apply at the target rate.

When you do the automatic tank calibration, remember to hit the save button. Click on that tank again to verify that the cal factor has changed.

The more cals the better. Changing conditions and varieties can change the cal factor. Recalibrate if you are out.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Is there an adjustment on the new carts for calibration speed like the 6000 series carts? I think the manual tell you how to adjust so calibration is about the same speed as normal seeding speed to make it more accurate.
As usual hiway mike has a great response on this......X2.:)

Are you guys really happy with, after spending what we have spent, on having to "tweek" cal numbers and scale numbers? I know I'm not, I did this year to keep going and not stop, but when we do a calibration, it should be accurate.
Sure my scale is off but that only affects how the monitor counts down the weight because of the weight being entered is off. My cart was bang on for applied product, for example: I put two mini-bulks of canola in and did a calibration (about 25# of seed into the pail). After they ran out it was within 10# of being dead on, can't get much better than that!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Fair enough. For example, in my front tank I was putting enough product in to seed 220 ac and only getting 200ac, unless I manually adjusted the cal factor. After I did that it was bang on, what I am saying about the scale is, if it's out you can't go by that to verify your cal is correct. Also, this not a problem of not calibrating right, we could calibrate it 10 times and be within 1% everytime, but it would seed out 10% to much. BG has told me I am not the only one with this issue, I'm sure they will figure it out

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Fair enough. For example, in my front tank I was putting enough product in to seed 220 ac and only getting 200ac, unless I manually adjusted the cal factor. After I did that it was bang on, what I am saying about the scale is, if it's out you can't go by that to verify your cal is correct. Also, this not a problem of not calibrating right, we could calibrate it 10 times and be within 1% everytime, but it would seed out 10% to much. BG has told me I am not the only one with this issue, I'm sure they will figure it out
Which acres are you going by? Job acres are only GPS applied acres, not counting overlap. Actual applied acres are on the window that expands from right side of screen.

EDIT: So if you are using job acres but have significant overlap that could explain perceived over-application.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Sounds like I'm having same problems as you. I would do numerous calibrations the first would be out alot then second usually within a few percent. But after the first seeded tank it was way off. I always saved the cal number and zeroed the weight of pail. I do not calibrate with the load cells but more use it to check that it's close to what it's supposed to do. I would do a proper cal lets say on nitrogen in tank one set at 140 lbs that was supposed to do 150 acres but it would go empty at 130 acres. I would have to bump screen so it said 120 lbs to actually get the proper rate of 140 lbs. the saddle tank and tank 4 always seemed bang on after cal. Mainly problems with tank one and two. I did check to make sure proper shafts were entered in x 30 and they were. It was a big learning curve to go from 591 monitor with 6000 series tank to this. The problem never got resolved as I just wanted to keep seeding. I've been seeding same fields for years and know the exact acres so I can tell when it's not proper rate. The last 6700 tank we had was bang on all the time. I should also mention that I did realize the job acres that are GPSed and don't count overlap are always alot lower than actual seeded acres.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts