The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking to purchase a Bourgault paralink drill. So many options regarding fertilizer placement. I am currently looking to put approx 250 lbs of n next to seed. Is this too close for side banding? Am I better off with midrow banders. I am leaning towards side banding as less moving parts. Also regarding midrow banders, are the discs better than the knife set up. I dont see many midrow knives so wondering if that isnt such a good choice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
233 Posts
One colony near us bought a unit with the knives on it this spring and like it but they were saying that it was going to be harder to get them in the future since Bourgault is moving to the big high flotation tires (less space to properly place things on the frame) . don't know if that is true or not. I think that they are more horsepower but way less maintenance. I like the MRB system in any form, but I know that you need a drier type spring for it to really shine, otherwise there isn't going to be a lot of difference in what you see from a side bander.

Even with big tanks, 250 lb + of fert and 120+ of seed starts taking a lot of fills.... A few guys are talking about trying floating some super U / agrotain on this fall. Will be interesting to see how that works out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
using an MRB and a narrow knife sure leaves a nicer, smoother field finish than a side band..... the Morris in particular is so rough it will destroy a 4 wheeler when are out scouting crop afterwards!

not to mention the guy riding it!

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
You will be speed limited because of the soil throw of a dual shoot opener and stepping from front/rear ranks. If you are fussy at all you won't likely be happy with that.

Do you mean 250# of urea or of N?:eek: Mid row shanks work unless you are in major straw and then they turn into a big rake. If using dry I would advise mid row discs. There is maintenance on them but they have been reliable for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been experimenting with N in my area and found that you really see a difference in the protien levels. In a year like this year where protein is at a premium the extra N really shines. I put down 150# of N this year and then top dressed another 100 # in June. I was kinda hoping to bypass the entire topdressing stage and just hit it hard in the spring.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
We have been experimenting with N in my area and found that you really see a difference in the protien levels. In a year like this year where protein is at a premium the extra N really shines. I put down 150# of N this year and then top dressed another 100 # in June. I was kinda hoping to bypass the entire topdressing stage and just hit it hard in the spring.
I'd like to know how you keep the crop standing? Putting that much N down a sideband opener would be a risky move IMO.

·
Registered
456 Posts
fertilizer through airseeder

Do not want to derail thread, but you talk about 250lbs of N with seed; what sort of N you talking? For some of these higher fertilizer areas, depending on tank size/drill size/farm size/location, you almost have bigger issues with fertilizer logistics vs MRB / side banding advantages/disadvantages. I think this is major deal and personally have almost gone backwards in splitting fertilizer and seeding operations as much as possible - have mrb and never have played with sidebanding - NH3, broadcasting coated urea, topdressing, etc. Out of all of these actually think topdressing may be most interesting and least understood.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using 46-0 Urea and i am putting on approx 250lbs which equates to approx 120 lbs actual. I seed AC stettler and had no issues with lodging on my irrigation. Stood just fine. Took off ~ 80 bus wheat crop with 16.6 protein

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Side banding gave me 9 bushels more wheat this year and 4 last year. Also with 120 lbs N. Of all my crops only canola shows a positive response to the paralink and mid row banding. Doubt you could ever really get the paralink to pay it's way and I own one. Machinery depreciates at a % every year and a machine worth double will depreciate at double.

Yes the mid row is safer, but I am finding it comes with a cost (yield).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.