The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new drill and i cant decide between a 3310 or a seedhawk, I'm from Brandon MB, we have rather heavy soils and are pretty wet. I'm planning on 12 inch spacing, not sure yet on opener, either a small knife with side band or use a larger paired row with fertilizer in the center. we use liquid fertilizer and WILL NOT use mid row banders. using a bourgault tank either way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd go for a Morris Contour Drill if you are looking for an independent opener drill. Their paired row set up is the best for seed & fertilizer separation and they have a good range of packer options to suit varied conditions. Plus it has the best contouring capability regrading seed & fertilizer placement as it moves through the field. I think it's also the easiest to set up with no tools for the depth and easy to adjust settings.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I agree with jt. It also looks like it has the best trash clearance. The seedhawks are terrible for that. I really want to see one work. If your going 12" spacing you need a paired row or weed control will develop into an issue, as will yield loss in spring wheat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i agree i was originally thinking paired row, i dont care about seeding between the rows, 4 inch with 28-0-0 banded in the middle, phos seed placed

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know anyone truly happy with paired row. If you are ok with 12 inch spacing then you could also go mid row shank on 3310. It would be the best of both worlds because you can put whatever opener you want on the seed shank and have a banding knife on the mid row shank. Resale should be considered, have you tried to buy a used Bourgault lately....Jeesh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts