The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since it's wet again I thought I would see what others are doing for packing pressures and how you chose that on these drills.

This is the second year for me and think I have learned a bit but still learning. Dealer was no help last year {ever} at all so I've divorced them.

It's a qda set up with 3/4 openers and v packers.
What I've gathered from the manual and others is to start around low psi and watch the opener arms. if they are dancing, then up pressure till they settle down. Then add some more.
It's seems fairly easy to tell when they are under pressurized but when to stop adding pressure seems to be my challenge as too much packing will crust our wet clay loam under certain conditions. So I seem to be settling with uneven seed depths. I have the drill set for 3/4 inch and end up anywhere from scratched in to 1 inch.
Sometimes I run 1050 and sometimes 1250. Last year was a lot higher as we had some pretty hard fields.

Was talking to a dealer from a different area and they do not sell any with v packers saying they pack to much. I was thinking if the round ones would ride more on the sides of the trench and allow more pressure to keep the opener steady without too much packing on the seed. I may have to buy a couple and try them.

So I guess what I'm asking is what are you running for pressure, how do you decide and are you able too keep the opener cutting an even depth without heavy packing?
I'm getting tired of constantly adjusting the pressure through low spots, over hills etc. Hope to learn a better way.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I run a 3310 with round tire packer with 12psi in them and 900psi on the gauge seems its packed hard enough. Last year was my first year for the drill. Seemed to be good last year and this year stuff is coming up great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I managed to mud in a bit more crop yesterday for a few hours before the rain hit again. Muddy ground needed around 900 to 1000 psi to hold the openers reasonably steady.
I would imagine the 3310 pressures would be lower than the 3320 for the same job due to the cylinder size?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts