The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a certain allowance as far as movement side by side in the shanks? 66ft QDA and there seems to be a lot of side to side movement with the openers. Especially on the outer wings. Anyone ever replaced the bushings before? Looks like a big job.
Thanks

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not sure that the side to side play makes any real difference on the performance of the drill. I have about 3” of side to side movement on my 3310 drill. Rebuilt about 10 shanks and it cuts the side to side movement to about 1/2, but no real difference in performance or emergence.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed on some side hills that it drafts into the bander trench and burns the seed. Also really bad around sloughs. Im going to measure out all of my shank spacing and bander spacing. I noticed spraying that some runs are closer together than other runs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We just replaced all the graphite bushings on one outside shank yesterday. 76’ XTC with 35000 ac on it. Took about an hour to do one shank. Them little graphite bushings really don’t wanna come out and had at least more than 1/2 the life left in them. We figure it’s good for another 30000 ac.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Not sure if this is any help or not, but we did the bushings on our 8810 this spring and used a saws all to cut a slot down the center them they drove out real easy. Tried the first couple just by hammer and punch and soon realized there has got to be a better way. Just used a wood blade so it didn't cut into the metal and only took a few seconds.

Reactions: Haystack

·
Registered
947 Posts
I noticed on some side hills that it drafts into the bander trench and burns the seed. Also really bad around sloughs. Im going to measure out all of my shank spacing and bander spacing. I noticed spraying that some runs are closer together than other runs.
Falling into the bander trench with the seed on sidehills and corners is just the nature of the beast. They can do that right from brand new.

The spacing on the seed shanks and mrb's could be off slightly from original install or perhaps the wear in the seed shank when running beside compacted ground from tires could have allowed the seed shank to skew sideways into the non compacted ground. I find that my MRB bottom trench really varies depending on how deep the MRB is set. When running shallow they may be exactly 1/2 way between the seed rows, set the MRB to max depth and it seems like my fertilizer band sits kind of 2.5" away from some seed rows and 7.5" away from others. Never really seems to ever make any difference though, other than the field finish is much rougher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ran into the same issue this year with 3320. Mainly around sloughs where a few shanks had nothing growing in sharp turns with seed sitting in moisture. Did replacing the bushings fix your problem for the next year?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts