The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first pic of frame is what I like about the 3710 disk drill. The second pic of openers is everything I don't like. Any questions?
Are any of you doing this "corrective action" on your drills after 10,000 acres? I started installing the new pivot bearings in place of pivot bushings. I cleaned the housings and parallel arms and installed new bearings and seals. After the new bearings went in the new pivot pins will not go through the new bearings. I appears the holes going through the housing and parallel arms are not straight and are out of round. It distorts the new bearing into a slight oval so pin doesn't fit. Also if you drop the parallel arms on the welding table the seals fall out of it. They seam really flimsy, and we would be relying on those toilet seat spacers to keep the seals in, or a little lock tight, but those toilet seats fall out now and then also. With all the side load from the compound disk what is going to keep from popping the seal out of the one side?
Has anyone else had this problem? Have any of you done this with success? Has anyone got any acres on the 3720 with pivot bearings?
I was hoping this would be a cure for a big problem , but after I'm into it up to my Elbos it seams more like a bandade for a big wound!
I've been a loyal bourgault customer for 17 years and I really want to like this drill but I'm having a difficult time covincing myself that this is worth it. And looking at $13,000 in parts at my expense sitting on the shop shelves and then hoping this thing will bury the seed after I'm done with this whole thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
More pictures would be nice to better understand. Ball bearings will crack before they lose shape and become oval.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
I believe they are needle bearings.

Those drills look like a nightmare to work on. I would have thought BG would have covered the cost of the parts upgrade at least?

Have you used it in the field yet or did you just buy it? Does it perform in the field?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They are needle bearings. I'm putting 864 bearings and 576 seals in seeding opener arms now. Bourgault did the rear pivot last year which took 144 bearings and 144 seals. I'm also putting in 144 bearings and races in coulter hubs. And 72 seals
Then another 432 bearings and 288 seals into MRb arms then 72 bearings and races in bander hubs along with 36 seals
I've used the drill. It looses its disk angle and misses the seed trench, broadcasting seed on top of the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
the only question that we all want to know is

how many acre's ,when you have to do it again?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Wow!! Thats alot of bearings!!! How long is this taking you to do??

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I would be irate with bourgault for how much they over charge for this equipment it should last 100,000 acres and if it prematurely fails the parts and labour should be covered that's terrible. I liked the idea of a disc drill but figured it would be a nightmare when it got wore out but 10,000 acres is only 2 seasons that's terrible. Even my Seedmaster the unit is simple enough but for example the hinges on the wings are just holes cut in steel with no hardened inserts or bushings once the pin which is harder than the mild steel hangers wear the holes outta shape enough the whole piece has to be cut off and replaced. It should be built to last for decades they charge so much for so little nowadays with ag equipment anything in trucking or construction is built to be rebuilt not just throw it away every 3 years like this junk

·
Registered
653 Posts
They are needle bearings. I'm putting 864 bearings and 576 seals in seeding opener arms now. I did the rear pivot last year which took 144 bearings and 144 seals. I'm also putting in 144 bearings and races in coulter hubs. And 72 seals
Then another 432 bearings and 288 seals into MRb arms then 72 bearings and races in bander hubs along with 36 seals
I've used the drill. It looses its disk angle and misses the seed trench, broadcasting seed on top of the ground.
Holy Crap!!! Ok I'll have to stop complaining. We have a Cross Slot with a total of 296 bearings on it. However only about half of those have a bearing, race and seal. The rest are sealed bearings that only need replacing at a high amount of acres (we've got 24k on ours and I think its still good for a while). Gotta love disk drills.

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
That sucks. I remember last spring being at an auction with a winged up 3710 with less than 10 000 acres on it and pushing up on the wing openers. There was a surprising amount of play in it.

I sure like my Pillars for the simplicity. 2 greasable tapered roller bearings (disc and packer wheel), a non-serviceable double roller for the cleaning wheel (that are laying on a pallet right now) and a single nylon pivot bushing.

I wonder if there will be a reaction against the complexity of parallel linkage setups anytime soon? Can there really be enough of a yield benefit to overcome the extra cost of manufacture and maintenance compared to a simple swingarm setup?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I wonder if there will be a reaction against the complexity of parallel linkage setups anytime soon? Can there really be enough of a yield benefit to overcome the extra cost of manufacture and maintenance compared to a simple swingarm setup?
Interesting comment. I have had a fair bit of exposure to this very thing over the last couple of years. Some of these parallel setups are just simply poorly designed and under engineered. I believe with not much extra cost at a factory level these wear issues can be addressed. There seriously seems to be a lot of junk out there at the moment, surely they will get it right soon.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Kurt, bourgault is estimating this greasable setup will last 40,000 acres. But know one really knows. That's four times longer then bushings. Once the openers get side play they loose their cutting angle and just blow the seed on top of ground. So they have to remain tight.
I agree that these manufacures were pumping out some crap :46:way to fast. I've seen allot of poor quality equipment setup, which leads to things breaking or falling off or wearing out to soon. Allot of the dealers sub contracted their equipment setup to a third party.
I really don't want to do this again as long as I own this drill. Which will probably meen that the 3710 will not remain on my farm as long as my bourgaults of the past.
I will now have 784 grease zerks to grease. Bourgault is saying 250 hr intervals. But Im going to grease it every 1000 acres. Maybe to much but I don't want to go through all of this again any time soon. It will take a good part of a day just to grease it. But still way less labor then taking it all apart and replacing parts.
I am really surprised that bourgault didn't step up and pull all these drills in an update them at their cost. I think the labor cost is the biggest problem. My drill was at the factory and got inspected and they said side play was not enough to warrent replacement. The first day I planted with it the openers moved so much they ran into each other and broke the grease zerks off on the rear pivot that bourgault just updated. And I couldnt get it to bury the seed. I would think as big as bougault has gotten at bare minimum they could have supplied parts at no cost to the farmer. We paid for it in poor seed placement and screwed up crops and now we are paying for it in the shop.
Horch Anderson pumped out some crap to fast also. But they were at my farm and dropped off a bunch of parts at no cost to me, I supplied labor they supplied parts. I am very happy with horsch Anderson. They said they subed out setup and couldn't keep up with demand. They stepped up!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would be irate with bourgault for how much they over charge for this equipment it should last 100,000 acres and if it prematurely fails the parts and labour should be covered that's terrible. I liked the idea of a disc drill but figured it would be a nightmare when it got wore out but 10,000 acres is only 2 seasons that's terrible. Even my Seedmaster the unit is simple enough but for example the hinges on the wings are just holes cut in steel with no hardened inserts or bushings once the pin which is harder than the mild steel hangers wear the holes outta shape enough the whole piece has to be cut off and replaced. It should be built to last for decades they charge so much for so little nowadays with ag equipment anything in trucking or construction is built to be rebuilt not just throw it away every 3 years like this junk
Their factories and jigs and crimpers and labor and steel are all probably free. I don't see why they don't give them away. A coulter drill is exactly that... a coulter drill. It is a niche product made a for a small market, that is incredibly labor intensive & requires substantial maintenance. Being a 10 series it is already 3 years old, it's going to need some work.

You build a drill to last for a decade and I'll show you an overpriced, out of date POS.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Last season new Seedhawk same thing they pucked it out factory and good luck , dealer and SH looked it over in summer........... Should be done in April .
Back to your drill hope BG chip in some , I would call that BG ' s " ibearing "

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you look at what that drill cost and weighs vs the competition it should last twice as long. Disc drills are the worse but don't think any of the para link hoe drills are much further behind. Way more moving parts vs the old ridged frame hoe drill. Not sure what's worse to work on a discs drill or a combine? Oh I forgot I use to be a skid steer mechanic!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have one of the first 3710 and it has over 35000 ac on it now, after the first year they came and replaced the bushings to greasable bearings. I grease my drill 3 times a season, beginning of seeding about half way through and at the end of the season...about 8 tubes each time, takes me about 2 hrs to do a good thorough job. I have a bit of side play but I think it is well within specs for the acres I have on it. We seed very shallow and seed our cereals and oilseeds at the same depth. I also keep my down pressure at the lowest setting possible since I farm in mellow heavy clay and overpacking is a big concern. We had a fair bit of seed on top of the ground the first couple of years we used it but then installed Dutch airguard seed brakes and that has virtually eliminated seed on top of the ground. I am replacing all the bearings in the cleaner wheels this year (preventative maintenance) and I don't like the cost of them from BG $85a piece. A local bearing place can get them for $40.

When people ask me if they should buy one I am always hesitant in recommending it but would I buy another one...yes I would because it does a very fine job of seeding for me.

I think maybe seeding conditions play an important role in how fast it wears...if you are seeding into rock hard dry abrasive soil it definitely will wear out much faster, my discs have maybe worn 1/8" you can't tell with out measuring it.

Catman if you owned this drill since new, I would think BG should definitely help you out with parts and warranty.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Their factories and jigs and crimpers and labor and steel are all probably free. I don't see why they don't give them away. A coulter drill is exactly that... a coulter drill. It is a niche product made a for a small market, that is incredibly labor intensive & requires substantial maintenance. Being a 10 series it is already 3 years old, it's going to need some work.

You build a drill to last for a decade and I'll show you an overpriced, out of date POS.

Im not saying they should be free I am saying that some of this equipment has almost doubled in price in the last decade. The dealer will give me more than what I paid new for my 4 year old drill because of hyper inflation in the air drill market my new drill though would be double the price of the old one.

My point is if you spend $500,000 on an air drill you get a machine that last a very short time it has no engine or transmission or highly complex parts for half a million I can buy 3 semi trucks or a large bulldozer or a dozen pickup trucks all new and all will last thousands or tens of thousands of hours. I don't think asking for a drill to last 10 years is unreasonable. remember we only use this stuff for a month every year so essentially his drill is wore out after 3 months of work. would you be happy if your pickup cost 2X as much as the one before but only lasted 3 months?

10,000/ 40 acres an hour (seeding time not counting filling etc) is only 250 hours of seeding time. Do you think that is an exceptable life span for a drill worth a quarter of a million dollars??? If you do go talk to your local equipment salesman he is gunna welcome guys like you with open arms.

I personally couldn't afford to rebuild my drill every 2 years and wouldn't want to I feel bourgault really should step up and cover this problem even if the drill is out of warrenty. They charge so much for so little nowadays after all steel hasn't gone up 200% our commodity prices haven't doubled when I bought my drill in 2011 canola was $16 that fall today its $10.

As others stated instead of using a $0.60 made in china bearing that they charge the farmer $20 for they need to use the larger heavier greasable Timkin bearing that costs them a $4.00 or whatever its absolutely just cost cutting and under engineering and the poor farmer gets the shaft when it doesn't work out. If enough of these drills have this problem then not only has it cost him major money in repairs but also he has a machine with no resale because nobody else is going to want to go through that headache

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Catman if you owned this drill since new, I would think BG should definitely help you out with parts and warranty.
I don't think it should matter if cat man bought it new or not! BG knows there is an issue here and it depends how much sandy conditions you are exposed to as to how quickly it surfaces. Guys buying new equipment and dumping it right when problems arise shouldn't excuse manufacturers from coming good and helping with the needed repairs. BG is usually pretty good about this type of thing and I would hope they do something for cat man in this situation, especially since the labor is a major part of the expense here and he is doing it himself.;)

1 - 20 of 539 Posts