The Combine Forum banner

521 - 539 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
I am fortunate to live where I do when it's dry. 3/4" deep to germinate is nothing unusual. Most times 1/4" in canola or wheat and it's up. Never worry much about it being dry after winter here. Sledders paradise but also a quad mud boggers dream most yrs. Rain is something I get to much of, more than not enough of. 4" in 15 min one rain last yr. Hail to go with on 20% of my acres. Canola suffered bad where the heavy rain hit and yield was below 20 on those acres from constantly being wet. Where the rain missed 55 bu. Always enough rain here to keep your average painfully low. It can get dry but not what some consider dry. My neighbor arrived here from Oyen a few yrs back purchasing a 1/4 with a house. I said it's dry to him and he said huh? The grass doesn't crunch under your feet and is green. It isn't dry lol.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bourgault ended up changing out the pins for the depth adjust pivot under warranty to the greaseable pins. The dealer wasn't able to get to it until after seeding so it just got done this week. This is what the pins looked like after just 2 seasons and I am sure they looked like that before I started this spring. It took 2 guys most of a day to change 48 pins. They used an air hammer to push them out and most times needed the air hammer on the end of the pin and another with a chisel working on the head to get it started. Now they all move very freely and I think a little shot of grease should keep them that way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Bourgault ended up changing out the pins for the depth adjust pivot under warranty to the greaseable pins. The dealer wasn't able to get to it until after seeding so it just got done this week. This is what the pins looked like after just 2 seasons and I am sure they looked like that before I started this spring. It took 2 guys most of a day to change 48 pins. They used an air hammer to push them out and most times needed the air hammer on the end of the pin and another with a chisel working on the head to get it started. Now they all move very freely and I think a little shot of grease should keep them that way.
What year is your unit? I’m gonna have to look into that for sure. Demoed a 1895 and hoo boy, that depth is sure nice to change. Unfortunately the cart was not up to par as far as I was concerned. Loved the JD tracked Rx tractor until it slipped out going up a moderate hill, something I could never imagine my quads doing anywhere... and I mean I know they don’t because we farm some of the steepest hills around. JD sure has their GPS/Monitoring stuff figured out versus everyone else tho.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What year is your unit? I’m gonna have to look into that for sure.

It's a 2018. The pins they put in are the same ones as are in the parallel arms. Originally they wanted me send an opener assembly back to look at to see why they were seizing up but I figured grease was the best option to stop dirt from getting in and be able to flush it out. With the amount of grease points what's one more per opener is my opinion especially if it keeps things moving freely.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
It's a 2018. The pins they put in are the same ones as are in the parallel arms. Originally they wanted me send an opener assembly back to look at to see why they were seizing up but I figured grease was the best option to stop dirt from getting in and be able to flush it out. With the amount of grease points what's one more per opener is my opinion especially if it keeps things moving freely.
Did they warranty the labor as well??

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
What year is your unit? I’m gonna have to look into that for sure. Demoed a 1895 and hoo boy, that depth is sure nice to change. Unfortunately the cart was not up to par as far as I was concerned. Loved the JD tracked Rx tractor until it slipped out going up a moderate hill, something I could never imagine my quads doing anywhere... and I mean I know they don’t because we farm some of the steepest hills around. JD sure has their GPS/Monitoring stuff figured out versus everyone else tho.
What kind of issues did the cart have?

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
What kind of issues did the cart have?
Well it’s not terrible but I can’t go back in size. And while the individual scales are nice you lose a lot of versatility not being able to combine tanks I thought. Would like to at least see a 5th tank. And don’t want a drill where I gotta have multiple meters. Calibrating was a pain, although the auto cal system looks like it could be great after you get it fine tuned. Stairs to the top were terrible compared to Bourgault. That all said, I wouldn’t absolutely stay away from one, I think they’re still a good tank. The tractor however... I was honestly embarrassed for the salesman. He said they needed to weight it up different but I dunno, those things are already 7k more pounds stock than our quads, our quads aren’t weighted at all. Main reason we got then demo is we wanted to see if the Cummins could out lug the Iveco, my biggest complaint about my case tractors, but we couldn’t even get that comparison because he couldn’t get the power to the ground without slipping out.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Well it’s not terrible but I can’t go back in size. And while the individual scales are nice you lose a lot of versatility not being able to combine tanks I thought. Would like to at least see a 5th tank. And don’t want a drill where I gotta have multiple meters. Calibrating was a pain, although the auto cal system looks like it could be great after you get it fine tuned. Stairs to the top were terrible compared to Bourgault. That all said, I wouldn’t absolutely stay away from one, I think they’re still a good tank. The tractor however... I was honestly embarrassed for the salesman. He said they needed to weight it up different but I dunno, those things are already 7k more pounds stock than our quads, our quads aren’t weighted at all. Main reason we got then demo is we wanted to see if the Cummins could out lug the Iveco, my biggest complaint about my case tractors, but we couldn’t even get that comparison because he couldn’t get the power to the ground without slipping out.
Good to know.
How did the drill it self work compare to your Bourgault

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Good to know.
How did the drill it self work compare to your Bourgault
Big fan of the tool. Really like everything they did to the new opener, which if I understand they basically just did everything the after market guys have been doing. We’re still learning these bourgault drills, got one quarter that we had terrible hairpinning. But generally I think they’re both very good disc drills, the angle of the BG should have less hairpinning but then on the other hand the smaller disc and spiked closing wheel on the JD might make it better in those conditions, didn’t really get a chance to see that. Kinda considering going to the anti hairpin scraper on our units but keep running the MRBs. I’d hate to lose the high flotation and hydraulic down pressure off the BG but the JD is soooo much easier to work on. 1 grease zerk per shank only as well, although I’m not too sure how often they want it done. I just really wish the BG was easier to work on. If they would make it a 3 rank machine there’d be soooo much more room.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So how many grease fittings are on each opener and how often is greasing required?

Total of 7, this pin makes it 8. Disc bearing (same as MRB), Packer bearing, 4 pivots on the parallel arms, walking axle pivot for cleaner/packer wheels. Have to double check what Bourgault lists the interval as but I think they call it 250 hours so once to twice a season. The disc and packer bearings are the only ones that take a significant amount of grease, the rest are about 2-4 pumps. Looks like a lot but actually not bad overall.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
One greasing. All hub bearings, packer pivot and parallel arm pivots in seed openers and MRBs 60’ 10” space. Blue is hub bearings, black is parallel arm pivots, and packer pivot.

I think I got all 732 grease zerks!

Now I need to go wash my coveralls I’m a grease mess after crawling around under this thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
One greasing. All hub bearings, packer pivot and parallel arm pivots in seed openers and MRBs 60’ 10” space. Blue is hub bearings, black is parallel arm pivots, and packer pivot.

I think I got all 732 grease zerks!

Now I need to go wash my coveralls I’m a grease mess after crawling around under this thing.
How often do you grease it?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Holy crap! Is that just a regular greasing or did you have to pack the bearings?

521 - 539 of 539 Posts