The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here get to run or see the new bourgault 3820 work this spring?? Thinking pretty seriously about trading the paralink on one but would like to hear some feedback. I know there was only a handful out this year.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm pretty excited about this drill. It will be years before a used one will be available in my price range, but this drill seems to combine the best elements of all the other disc drill into one.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
I'm very interested to see one run. Parallel link and hydraulic downforce seems to be a step up from the 1890 I have without losing the features that I like. The packer wheels would go on Kijiji after being replaced by a proper spiked closing wheel, but as long as the firming wheel does the job it should, I think there is finally an option out there instead of the Deere. Case had a chance to do it right with the 500 but without in furrow seed firming I didn't even price one out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked about spiked closing wheels since I really like them on my 1895. They claimed to have tried them and said they were too aggressive. Which the extreme compound angle vs the deere could change that a bit i suppose. I do like how the angle of the packer can be adjusted, helps with possibilities down the road.
I too feel its a heavier built deere with parallel link and the compound angle. Has a lot of potential

·
Registered
301 Posts
What really gets me excited about it is the active hydraulic down pressure using a load cell on one of the depth wheels. We have highly varying soil conditions so be able to keep the openers in the ground consistently would be a big deal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What really gets me excited about it is the active hydraulic down pressure using a load cell on one of the depth wheels. We have highly varying soil conditions so be able to keep the openers in the ground consistently would be a big deal.
We had that on a seedmaster drill. As the season went by it was nice to know how things were changing. But I honestly dont think it made much of a difference within the same field. It is cool technology tho and I'm sure on some farms it makes sense

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just gotta wonder how complicated seeding equipment can get.
When I first walked up to the drill my jaw dropped. The planter option added an incredible about of complexity. It all made sense but there were fans, hoses, meters, fill tubes etc everywhere.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
There is no way I'd spend $150k on the planter option (heard that is what it costs) when you can buy a good used planter for less than that and do the job right. You can probably buy a good planter and a fertilizer spreader for that price and have yourself a lot more flexibility. Or go out and put fertilizer openers on the planter. I can't stand that everyone still thinks there aren't options to get fertilizer separately placed with planters. Mine is a 1997 and came with sidebanding single disc fertilizer openers on it.

And if you are willing to spend the money, you can have row by row controlled individual hydraulic downforce on a planter and individual row shutoffs and variable rate with turn compensation. Dawn actually has in cab depth control and firming wheel/closing adjustment. So if you think the Bourgault is complex, just look what you can bolt onto a planter these days!

Regarding closing wheels, the SDX had a compound angle and benefited from spiked closers so I would still want to try it out. I was closing the trench in wet foxtail barley sod yesterday with my cast notched Deere wheels and I don't think it would have with a rubber packer, but would be nice to see work side by side. Now if only someone would actually bring one in as a demo...

·
Registered
993 Posts
It didn’t make much sense to have singulation on a knife opener, just get a planter and do it right. Why travel at 4.5mph with a knife when you can go 7 to 9 mph with a planter

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I don't think it will be a big mover myself, like others have said, there is a tool already made for the job that does it exactly as intended. Might be a few sell off the get go out of curiosity/bragging rights/trial, but don't think they have hit a home run with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it will be a big mover myself, like others have said, there is a tool already made for the job that does it exactly as intended. Might be a few sell off the get go out of curiosity/bragging rights/trial, but don't think they have hit a home run with it.
Keep in mind I was initially asking about the opener itself. I dont care about the planter option it doesnt fit my operation at that price today. But likely going to order the 3820 without it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
BG went about it the wrong way. Instead of shoehorning that onto a drill they should have made a new planter toolbar using their carts as a central fill.

Keep the cart, switch the toolbar.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Keep in mind I was initially asking about the opener itself. I dont care about the planter option it doesnt fit my operation at that price today. But likely going to order the 3820 without it.
I’m the same, I couldn’t care less about the planter functionality.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regarding closing wheels, the SDX had a compound angle and benefited from spiked closers so I would still want to try it out. I was closing the trench in wet foxtail barley sod yesterday with my cast notched Deere wheels and I don't think it would have with a rubber packer, but would be nice to see work side by side. Now if only someone would actually bring one in as a demo...
That's a good point, would have to look at an sdx again to remind myself how their closing wheel worked. I know they had a huge 22.5" disc, what were the opener angles?? 5 & 5 maybe??

·
Registered
31 Posts
We just bought a 3820 with the 9950 cart. Got it with the planter option. We’ve run 3710/20’s for about 7-8 years now and they are by far the dominant drill in our area. With corn starting to move into our area in southern Manitoba we needed to replace our planter with something with more efficiency. The cost of the air planter option (60’) brand new was less than most decent quality used 40’ planters. Granted, the planter itself may not be as exact as an actual planter, but for doing canola, soybeans, corn and sunflowers it will be just fine. It also allows us to plant beans and canola on 10” spacing, something I don’t think any other planters can do. The planting unit drives are made by topcon and have turn compensation, individual on/off and variable rate built in. And we know that the Bourgault carts work well, the 3720 was an excellent design for our conditions and as long as the firmer wheel can stay clean, this should work even better. As far as a one pass option for planting or volumetric seeding and putting all your fertility requirements down exactly where you need them I haven’t found a more versatile option out there. From what I understand there will only be 12 planter units produced for this upcoming year so I wouldn’t hold out much hope of seeing a demo next year unless one of your neighbours scoops one up.

By the way, our old planter that we’re replacing is a 1977 7000 Early Rise Deere. Even that thing has side banding for the fert, although ours has double disc openers for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts