The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting inaccurate metering results after going through a hydraulic calibration. Seeding durum, and looking to apply 90lbs/acre. In order to get this amount we have to run at about 105lbs/acre on the 591 monitor display, even though doing a hydraulic calibration and getting a result around 90-95lbs/acre. Has anyone seen this issue or have any ideas to correct the inconsistent metering results?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
How do you know its not correct? Maybe you are actually getting 105#? If you are going by tank volume it could be off if the wheat is heavy.

Are you subtracting the weight of the bucket?

Welcome to the forum.:smile:

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I'm more familiar with the X20 monitor but when you do a calibration how far off is the actual weight vs the expected weight? Just keep doing calibrations until you get within 2%.

·
Registered
827 Posts
When you calibrate with hydraulic motor is it spinning the same speed as your seeding at? It will affect it if these aren't the same.
Agree set your seeding speed, weight correctly, what ever you want for lbs/acre, adjust CRA till that rate is showing on 591, should be good. Been very accurate since 2008 for us.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have had this problem many times..

Could be the auger getting gummed up

Could be a chain skipping

Could be your sizing sprocket

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny....Have the same issue with mine. Trying to push out 255 lbs/acre down my midrow, and going by my acres/density/tanksize and only getting about 215.....Getting frustrated. Blend is 100-0-0-15 all going down the midrow though a high output auger.. Calibrate my phos blend (0-40-15-0), calibrates perfect, applies it perfect, which is going through my double flighting auger (middle tank)

Do you guys pull the whole auger out to clean it? i haven't l pulled it out of the chamber since I got it.

Also have the variable rate transmissions on mine. Could it be a issue with one of the the transmissions?

Also seems like as I tun my setting up I cant get much more out of it. Almost at the highest setting....put that much on before and never had this issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
On our 5440 there is a valve you twist to speed or slow right after the on/off valve that turns the hydraulic motor on and off. As for the sprocket I can't remember that one without having a look. I'll check it out tomo

·
Registered
220 Posts
Funny....Have the same issue with mine. Trying to push out 255 lbs/acre down my midrow, and going by my acres/density/tanksize and only getting about 215.....Getting frustrated. Blend is 100-0-0-15 all going down the midrow though a high output auger.. Calibrate my phos blend (0-40-15-0), calibrates perfect, applies it perfect, which is going through my double flighting auger (middle tank)

Do you guys pull the whole auger out to clean it? i haven't l pulled it out of the chamber since I got it.

Also have the variable rate transmissions on mine. Could it be a issue with one of the the transmissions?

Also seems like as I tun my setting up I cant get much more out of it. Almost at the highest setting....put that much on before and never had this issue.
Could be an air leak on that tank also. There is a way to check the output of the metering transmission. Your manual should say how for sure , I can't remember for sure but I think you have to put trans to a certain setting and then watch the output shaft to see if it makes a full revolution. Last year had an issue in flax where the Rate kept dropping , turned out to be a bad transmission. The lbs per acre kept slowly dropping on monitor that time though, not sure if yours is doing that or not

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could be an air leak on that tank also. There is a way to check the output of the metering transmission. Your manual should say how for sure , I can't remember for sure but I think you have to put trans to a certain setting and then watch the output shaft to see if it makes a full revolution. Last year had an issue in flax where the Rate kept dropping , turned out to be a bad transmission. The lbs per acre kept slowly dropping on monitor that time though, not sure if yours is doing that or not
Thought about the air leak to. I put new seal on the top of the tank, Cant seem to a leak anywhere else. Was thinking I should maybe change the hose going from the tank to the metering auger just to make sure. Otherwise not sure what else I can do. I think I might pull the auger out, clean it up nice and try that. Thinking that may be the problem also.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Set transmission to full. Turn input shaft 1 complete rev, output should be slightly more than one full rev.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Another thing to check is the tank pressure equalization hose. Not sure if that's the right name for it but the white hose inside each tank. A friend was telling me about a 5000 series cart that wasn't delivering correctly and turned out to be a plugged line inside tank. Some how rotten grain and that line was plugged. Cleaned it out and problem solved.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Your auger could be worn and not able to put on any more. Only way to know tank size is weigh product you put in. You can also weigh the cubic foot of product with the calibration box. Theoretical bulk density is just that I find each load of fertilizer is always different shape and size of product

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Reasons your hydraulic calibration does not mach your seeding rate are :
1. Hydraulic calibration speed not the same as seeding speed
2. Air leak on tank
3. Tire pressure on meter drive incorrect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pulled out my stainless steel high output auger today....it was gummed up badly. Took a wire brush and cleaned it all up and put it back in. For wheat,before I cleaned it hp, I had my transmission set at 90 to get 255 lbs/acre out of it. Now for canola after calibration and after i cleaned it up, I have it set DOWN to 76 to get 305 lbs/acre out of it. The clean up worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any tips for finding air leaks? Will a gummed up auger tube affect this? We replaced our poly with a stainless steel and it did not fix the problem. Wondering if we should have cleaned the tube better?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Pulled out my stainless steel high output auger today....it was gummed up badly. Took a wire brush and cleaned it all up and put it back in. For wheat,before I cleaned it hp, I had my transmission set at 90 to get 255 lbs/acre out of it. Now for canola after calibration and after i cleaned it up, I have it set DOWN to 76 to get 305 lbs/acre out of it. The clean up worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice!
Timing of this not great, but hopefully when you went to effort of taking auger out you replaced bearings on each end of that shaft as older they get seems this not a bad annual exercise - best of course after seeding/before. Not sure about 5000 series, but on 6000 that rubber seal that fits in against bearings bit of a joke as fertilizer gets in between that and bearing and seizes them up good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts