The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering what the minimum rates out of the saddle tanks is? I’m 12” spacing, so rates are low with the inoculant. Considering cutting the rate a little bit. Can I get 1.5-2 lbs out of that saddle tank?

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Hi guys, I was wondering what the minimum rates out of the saddle tanks is? I’m 12” spacing, so rates are low with the inoculant. Considering cutting the rate a little bit. Can I get 1.5-2 lbs out of that saddle tank?
Why do you want to cut back on innoculant?
2.7 is recommended for most innoculants on 12” spacing. That little saving to go to 2 lbs isn’t worth it.

Canola is a different story.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys, have you ever had to do that?

Recommended rate is 2.2 lbs on this granular inoculant for 12” spacing. Might set for 2lbs see how it goes might set for 1.75lbs if I’m short and don’t want to head to town for another bag. Just wondering what this saddle tank is capable of before I get into it. I know some guys double inoculate and split rates so if some is seed applied and some is granular I need to know how low it can be set.

It’s and 84ft xtc so guessing 4.5 mph will be max speed. Have to see how it goes. Full field efficiency would be 46 acres/hr. Do you know if there is a chart or something along those lines cr9060 to see if it’s capable with acres/hr?

· Registered
6,652 Posts
If you set up a field and a job in the monitor it should tell you if the rate is not recommended for the meter. Usually meters are fine at low rates, but if the rate selected is higher than the meters capability it will warn you. You then need to select a faster sprocket ratio if you aren’t already at the highest drive ratio.

The canola meter is pretty rock solid in the low ratio. At those low of settings I would trim the meter cal factor based on in field progress rather than doing repeated automatic calibrations. Just remember making the cal factor larger makes the meter turn slower, thereby reducing the seeding rate.

Are you actually going to have inoculant passing through the saddle tank meter? We put all of our inoculant through meter #2 which is the second smallest, but at a significantly higher rate. We never had a problem when trying to stretch things from time to time for different reasons.

It’s possible you may get some hydraulic instability at an unknown low meter speed but that’s a different issue that can usually be trimmed away on the tools pages in the monitor.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Lalfix inoculant density is 31.5lbs/ft3. This stuff looks like canola and is very low dust. Canola density I looked is around 40 lbs/ft3. Being lighter it shouldn’t meter as good you’d think, hopefully works if we have to do some light rate and keeping our ac/hr up higher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts