The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there has compared yield and stand in all crops between a 10" bourgault paralink to a 12" paired row Morris C2.

The reason why I want to know is, that I'm not to keen on the Mid row system to get the fert to the plant efficiently and timely vs. a paired row double shoot opener like the Morris offers. I like to have high seed bed utilization so I would prefer to have a 10" row spacing. Problem being that in a 3 rank system the trash clearance is not good on a 10" row spacing. This is why bourgault gets not bad trash flow, by using the mid row discs that help size the material on their 3 rank 10" row spaced unit. A Morris will only flow trash well with a 12" row spacing too because of 3 rank design.

So any feed back would be good to compare the 12" Morris C2 paired row opener drill vs the Bourgault mid row 10" drill. I grow field peas, barley, wheat and canola. Thanks for sharing your experiences and ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Ran both drills in the past,the Bourgault with the one inch vertical opener on ten inch with MRBs is by far the better drill when it comes to trash handling and seed placement.MRBs are higher maintainance, add wheight and eat power, but the result is much better in difficult conditions.Allways thought the Morris would be a good and cheaper alternative to the Bourgault but i was quite disappointed, from both, drill and cart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply,
What were you disappointed in on the Morris, and was it a C2?

I bought a bourgault 7700 tank but was thinking of pairing it to a Morris. Currently I am running 1830 john deere drills with 10" spacing and 5.5" packers with the gen 3.5" opener. Been real happy with it but it does take some messing with to keep it running level from time to time.

I did a demo with Morris this year and seen a slight reduction in yield on the Morris. We seed heavy at 125 lbs/acre, and wonder if the yield drag of a few bushels of barley wasn't due to decreasing seeding rate through the Morris because of less shanks on the 12". It could of caused it to be root bound vs the 10" John deere. I did notice the barley wasn't as plump too. Would be nice to try again using a lighter seeding rate.

Deere drill is sure cheap, simple and effective too, so might just hook new tank to my 1830 too.

What didn't you like about the Morris Jaydee ?

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
It leaves piles in heavy trash, in wet conditions it diggs up to much dirt and the packer wheels pick it up and lift the shank, also didnt like that you cant release down pressure instantly like on tbe Bourgault when hitting a wet spot, field finish is terrible rough and looks like crap in difficult conditions, seed placement is inconsistant in those conditions, the Morris seed distributution towers plug up very easy in peas or higher rates of seed and fertilizer, the down pressure doesnt stay consistent through the day.The carts have no possibility to interconnect tanks, you have to switch plates on the metering system, the conveyor is pathetic compared to the Bourgault.Two main axle bearrings went in two seasons...to make a long story short, i know now why the Bourgault is so much more expensive.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Had a Morris C2 for the last 3 years, traded on Bourgault this fall. I would go thru the list of why I traded but jaydee good a good job of stating stating problems and I would just be repeating them. Final straw was seeding soybeans and towers plugging every few hundred feet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
So is the higher price tag worth it, are you guys with the bourgault growing X number of bushels more that your previous drill system and after several seasons are you happy with the longevity of these units cause the lots and paper is chocked full of 1,2,3 year old 3310 and 20's, this is what I have noticed that back when it was 5710 ,5810 they weren't traded back till they were 10+ years old.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
So is the higher price tag worth it, are you guys with the bourgault growing X number of bushels more that your previous drill system and after several seasons are you happy with the longevity of these units cause the lots and paper is chocked full of 1,2,3 year old 3310 and 20's, this is what I have noticed that back when it was 5710 ,5810 they weren't traded back till they were 10+ years old.
Have grown some very good crops with my 3320 and MRB's in some very adverse weather years. I think what you see are the cutting edge guys(or bleeding edge as Don refers to them) that are running BG equipment are trading up to the recent technology. There have been a lot of advancements in sectional control, disc drills, tanks....

I do agree that the cost of being the first guy to try this stuff is not always recovered in crop yield. There are a lot of great crops grown with 2-10 year old seeders.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.