The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used bourgault sectional control this past growing season? If so are you satisfied? Pros and cons? I've got one ordered for next season, it's always better to hear from people who have used one rather than the manufacturer or salesman trying to sell. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Is this something that will be available on all their carts or just the larger ones. I'm not on the market for one right now but would like to get into the sectional control in the future, just don't really need a big cart for 2400 acres!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Is this something that will be available on all their carts or just the larger ones. I'm not on the market for one right now but would like to get into the sectional control in the future, just don't really need a big cart for 2400 acres!
I believe from BG it's on any 7000 series cart.

Although the way it is set up on that Pillar, anything is possible!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
we mounted the bg sectional control on our Pillar drill this last fall, did some testing, and seem to work fine. here are some pics, with 800 bu tbt cart
That sure is a lot cleaner than the way Bourgault does it on their own seeding tools, mounted way at the back looks goofy as heII. Still looks like a complicated system with lots of things to go wrong though but apparently it does work!:eek:

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I have also purchased a bourgault l7800 tbt cart. I am putting it with a new case 600 (flexicoil) cultivator then putting technotil on it. Going to try the "keep it simple, stupid" this spring. Keeping the other drills and planter going, just in case, but I have been so impressed with this technotil that I want to try it. Has anyone mounted the sectional control on a tillage tool like I have mentioned or is there another way to mount it with tbt? Thanks for the pics Aviator, that looks like a nice job done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am not familiar with BG . Does the meter auger slow down when sections shut off to keep the application rate correct for the sections still seeding? I was looking at the farm progress show and all the other manufactures seem to use different variations of turning the meter off.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I am not familiar with BG . Does the meter auger slow down when sections shut off to keep the application rate correct for the sections still seeding? I was looking at the farm progress show and all the other manufactures seem to use different variations of turning the meter off.
Yeah, same concept of a Raven Rate Controller. When product is shut off to a certain section, clean air is grabbed at an elbow and blown through the line to clear it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
These are the settings from a 76ft, 10" spacing, 7700, 4.7mph. I used them on my 66ft and it worked for me. Make sure to set the time it takes for product to get from meter augers to section control. I believe this is under the Implement icon in the wrench menu under Tanks. There are settings for On-time and Off-time for this here. I set my On time to 1 sec, and Off time to .7sec for all tanks. Here are the settings I have used for timing from section control to shanks (I have 8 runs):

On Time:
1,2,7,8 at 3 seconds
3,6 at 2.5 seconds
4,5 at 2 seconds

Off Time:
1,2,7,8 at 2 seconds
3,6 at 1.5 seconds
4,5 at 1.2 seconds

I also think it is important to have your fans turned set for the crop you are planting this year that has the highest minimum fan speed as I believe higher fan speeds cause product to clear the system faster. If you set your section control up for canola (which would have a low fan speed) and use that same timing for something like peas (which would have a much higher fan speed) I believe you will have misses on your peas as the lines will clear faster, thus affecting the on-off timing. Bourgault doesn't make note of this anywhere, but I believe it should hold true but you can try it for yourself by doing timing at 3500rpm and 5500rpm and see the difference for yourself.

To make it quicker to verify overlap/misses in the field, and not waste a bunch of treated seed, follow this procedure.

1) Turn off all your tanks so meters don't run. Choose a tank with nothing in it or a tank that has fertilizer and turn the rate way down so very little is going out per acre. There is no reason to put any product down the first 2 passes, you just need to run the drill in the ground so you have a visual reference point from which to judge on off timing when you cross it later. You just have to have one product going down (even at a very low rate) to make the X30 think you seeded this area. It will turn green on the screen as you seed.

2) Make 2 side by side passes longer than you think you'll need for this test (as you tend to replicate it and it prevents you from having to do these 2 blank passes again)

3) Lock up MRB's and Shanks with the shutoff valves on the respective valve blocks on the drill. Engaged your tractor remote for drill oil flow to openers. Nothing will actually lower, but it fools master clutch into thinking it has been lowered so it will still engaged meter augers.

4) Turn off any fertilizer tanks and just turn on seed tanks. It also helps to double your seed rate so you can more easily identify the seed laying on top of the ground. There seems to be some straglers that come out of the pipes for quite awhile after clutch shuts off, so this helps to show you where the main seed shutoff/turn on occurs

5) Line your unit up to do a 90 degree pass to the original 2 passes you did with openers in the ground. Get up to the speed you will seed at and hit lower on the opener switch about 60ft from where you will cross over your previously seeded area. The openers won't actually lower, but the X30 will still engage all metering and everything will function as though it is in the ground.

5) Drive about 15-20ft with the drill into your previously seeded ground. Go back and check for overlap/skips. It is much easier to see the broadcast seed on top of the ground than it is to dig all the rows up! It is important to note that you should be looking at your back openers for this Off-Time test! They are the last to cross into the previously seed area. For the On-time test (coming out of a seeded area into an unseeded area) you want to check the front shanks as they are the first to leave the seeded area.

6) Adjust timing accordingly

7) Leaving the opener switch in the Lower position, continue driving in the same line and at your seeding speed. The master clutch icon on the bottom right of your X30 should be green but your section control will keep meter augers off until they get to the unseeded ground. Go about 50ft into your unseeded ground and check your coverage.

8) Repeat at a 45 Degree angle to the first 2 passes with openers in the ground and check coverage

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Big time i just wrote a thesis on the jd section control page and yours makes mine look very poor however we did the same things. Obviously my communication and typing skills are lacking but great minds still think alike:)

We also put seed in the ground then intersected those passes with drill out of ground on black dirt to see precisely our skips and overlaps.

Good luck

·
Registered
438 Posts
Valicat, your mind can't be that great if your running a Deere drill! ;). I've spent way too much time overthinking everything on this new drill so it's best to put it up here to hopefully save guys time or point out flaws in my thinking. I don't feel you need to put any expensive seed or product in the ground on your first 2 passes as you are really only trying to create a visual reference for your skip/overlap by creating blackened seed rows. It is safe to assume that ground would be all seeded if you turned on your product tanks. I just didn't want to waste seed and fert whilei was setting this thing up.

On a side note, this unit is beating the **** out of the lentils going through the unit at minimum fan speed! Turned it down to an acceptable damage level and plugged the secondary lines on drill that had an S shape to them. Will try and find a happy medium and shorten some hoses today.

Also BG really needs to get something figured out to lift the sections after they shut off and product goes through. How can the already seeded ground not be highly disturbed and have its seed placement compromised by being under the second passes soil or pulled up to surface? The seed twins have this figured out I believe. They need to as well!

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
At the seminar we were at a short time ago they shared this info from some stopwatch tests a few days earlier.

On a 70 foot drill they felt it was a full 7 seconds of on time in a simple meter on test for the outside sections to achieve 100% rate application at the opener and a lesser amount on the sections as the tests were conducted more inward. It seems this system will always have a low rate arriving in advance of full delivery and some straggling product after shut off, unlike a sectional control liquid sprayer.

It's just something to consider in choosing a compromise on sectional timing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The on and off times from the back to the front tank are important in a 7700-7950 because of the distance between the auger and sectional gate, so if you move your seed from back tank to front the timing on and off is different, also with your openers out of the ground the seed wants to shoot backwards further and less back pressure so the seed moves faster, how much different do you think canola timing is than wheat?

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
Also BG really needs to get something figured out to lift the sections after they shut off and product goes through. How can the already seeded ground not be highly disturbed and have its seed placement compromised by being under the second passes soil or pulled up to surface? The seed twins have this figured out I believe. They need to as well!
Because...?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Because...?
I would second that. Even with a hoe opener the previously seeded crop comes up just fine. After tinkering a bit with my disc drill I see that there would be almost no interference in that situation.:)

No need to make an overly complicated system even more complicated!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.