The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a different C shank drill and it has fairly decent Bourgault Vertical side band openers with replaceable tips, is everyone happy with these, from reading I've done they put the grain and Fert on different levels, I've been running atom jets for the last ten yrs and really like them as they leave both on the same plan and separation has been great

just curious i thought of switching my atom jets over from my old drill but they aren't the best shape anymore for the amount of work involved

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can’t state to the side band but I have the bourgault vertical series 4” paired row double shoot liquid for primary N. From the pictures they look like the same opener just without the second wing for the paired row. After one season I’m very happy with them. Didn’t have any separation issues at up to 40 gallons an acre at 120-0-0-26. How I ended up with them was the price point and ease of switching tips. 4” paired row to a narrower lower disturbance if a guy wanted to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We have run numerous sets of Atom-Jet and have had their side band boots, as you mentioned good seperation and they last. Our neighbors had BTT and replaced numerous tips in the first two years due to breakage, we hadn't broken anything. Changing those tips in the field after they rust and get some dirt in is not an easy task.
I am a big believer if something is working why change ? Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good to hear, i think i would eventually go back to atom jets even if these worked out ok, now just trying to justify the cost of the drill itself in my mind, just a little overpriced but what isn't these days

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been running the BTT double shoot single wing opener on my 100ft 3420 BG drill. Openers perform reasonably well when new. Fert goes a little deeper, bottom of wing pushes soil back into fert trench before seed hits the ground. BTT used to put carbide on the bottom of this wing to reduce wear. In 2021 when I got my new 3420 we ordered these openers thinking they were like the show models and had full carbide. They do not anymore. One season, 8500 acres and the bottom of wing was worn badly enough that they no longer push dirt into fert trench. Product separation, especially canola, suffers drastically when this happens as much of the canola seed falls into the deeper fert trench. BTT says, too bad, buy new $200 tips every year. Neighbor has Atom jet high rate side band, and has about 20,000 ac on them on a 66ft drill and they are still very good condition. I ordered Atom jets for 2023.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We will catch up to Atom-jet at CPS in Saskatoon but I believe that in a world that is reducing quality, sourcing from overseas and delivering less service they have maintained a strong product and everytime we have contacted them it has been a good experience. That is worth something to us on our farm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts