The Combine Forum banner

Bourgault vs Seedhawk

24K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  meskie 
#1 ·
I’d like to hear opinions on which drill you would choose and why if they cost exactly the same between a 2021 Seedhawk 10-80 vs a 2021 Bourgault 3335 76’. Both units would be equipped for double shoot and liquid.

Bourgault
76ft 3335 with PLX Opener and Accuset
10” Spacing
Mid row bander
9650 Leading Tank

Seedhawk
80ft 10” spacing
660 Leading Cart with Conveyor

My personal opinion is that the BG for the same money is a no brainer, but I’d like to hear opinions from others on what they figure is the better unit.

#11 ·
Trash clearance and penetration will be better with Bourgault. Seed hawk a little more precise when seeding canola. If you do any lentils the ability to lift the banders is a major advantage instead of dragging 2 shanks full time. Bourgault built way stronger. Seed hawk cart seems more advanced and innovative. I am a lentil grower so the Bourgault is a no brainer for me.

#13 ·
SH
80-10 leaves not bad field finish
drill floates compared to BG
tank with individual compartment scales
metering very accurate
no harness needed in cab
easy iPad control over drill and block control
very poor dept changes
max speed 4.5 mph
easy pull
openers hardly ever plug (old style opener)
seeding starts with combine chopper and short stubble
high fertilizer rates no problem
350 lbs per stream is kind max on 10 inch

BG
heavy
expensive
have not seen new models

#16 ·
I think it is a no brainer. For equal or less money take the Bourgault. Historically the Bourgault has had much better resale. Now if the seedhawk was cheaper it would be a much, much tougher decision.

Seedhawk resale has been increasing as they have gotten a much better dealer and parts network. Look at how poor the resale is on the Seedmaster and it is a very similar machine to the Seedhawk, but a much smaller dealer network.

#22 ·
This would be a nice middle ground. I would have a hard time giving up the 5th tank, with VR that 5th tank is nice for micros with the cereals. Also, what is with Bourgault shrinking the size of their 2nd largest tank? With the new 9950 I wouldn’t be able to get 80 Ac of wheat seeded (~2.8-3bu/Ac), I’m guessing this isn’t the norm in sk or it wouldn’t have changed from the 7950 tank splits. Now it’s pretty close to the c850.

Anyways, if the cost was the same I would go Bourgault all day long. Just one guys opinion tho...

#28 ·
Seedhawk still the only drill that lifts shanks with sectional control to my knowledge.

sectional control for my FC5000 and Morris Discer Cart haven’t been developed yet. Agristainless does have sectional control for John Deere 1910 carts IIRC.

#33 ·
Bourgault has done a lot of changes to their distribution system in the last few years...according the the PAMI report the changes show it to be on par with the UltraPro system from SM, with similar seed damage. Would suggest there is no benefit to the Class A, B, or C air systems as far as distribution and damage goes.

#34 ·
We have the 80ft 3335 PLDS Bourgault and really like it, can treat it like a seedhawk with its seed placement, have a 9950 tank in front. Bar is great for flotation with a good tyre combination, its on 4 rows, helps with trash flow. Cant really complain about it, love the tank too with the scales. Getting about 1,000 acres in 24 hrs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.