The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my X35 setting up profiles, farm, field, jobs, products etc. Is there a way to program my application rates into the job profile so I don't have to program them when I get to the field? I see in the product setup that application rates can be entered but that doesn't help when you use change rates from field to field. I set up several seeder profiles based on crop ( wheat canola soybeans peas ) so I dont have to change all the tank configurations and sectional timings when I switch crops.TIA

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
That’s a good question. I have never done that. I fear that to do this you would need to pre-calibrate each of the products anticipated to be used in each meter. In all likelihood you are going to do a lot of weighing and calibrating as you go from crop to crop or field to field during the actual planting season anyway. In reality the job name is just a code for these output calibrations, that is then put into the memory. Don’t worry it won’t let you plant without a job name assigned or being properly selected from that particular fields history.

If I was asked to do what you want, I would have to calibrate a bit of each product anticipated to be used in all of the meters it may be assigned to during the season. As long as you generate and save all the meter displacements for all of the combinations of product names and meter numbers, I suppose you could create a fake season in the yard and generate each 2021 job for each of the fields.

It’s an interesting idea but you would still need to do a fair bit of recalibration in the field and adjust your meter displacement per revolution for acceptable application accuracy. Any cross contamination from playing with small amounts of product in the yard seriously spoils calibration values for actual use. If you already have history data within the memory of this air cart, as in meter displacements per revolution of the products, the idea is more practical in my opinion.

Edit: Thinking about that some more. If this is a large cart with a bunch of compartment configuration modes, you would need to select that configuration in the monitor exactly the same as you intended to use it in each field and job or it will be a problem that won’t let you proceed when you want to use it. You also still have to turn on or off meters as required for the job manually on a page in the monitor and on the toggle box because the job selection does not have any of the physical configuration authority or fingers. Which primary tube each meter delivers to is another physical selection and sometimes tank pressurization pairing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a good question. I have never done that. I fear that to do this you would need to pre-calibrate each of the products anticipated to be used in each meter. In all likelihood you are going to do a lot of weighing and calibrating as you go from crop to crop or field to field during the actual planting season anyway. In reality the job name is just a code for these output calibrations, that is then put into the memory. Don’t worry it won’t let you plant without a job name assigned or being properly selected from that particular fields history.

If I was asked to do what you want, I would have to calibrate a bit of each product anticipated to be used in all of the meters it may be assigned to during the season. As long as you generate and save all the meter displacements for all of the combinations of product names and meter numbers, I suppose you could create a fake season in the yard and generate each 2021 job for each of the fields.

It’s an interesting idea but you would still need to do a fair bit of recalibration in the field and adjust your meter displacement per revolution for acceptable application accuracy. Any cross contamination from playing with small amounts of product in the yard seriously spoils calibration values for actual use. If you already have history data within the memory of this air cart, as in meter displacements per revolution of the products, the idea is more practical in my opinion.

Edit: Thinking about that some more. If this is a large cart with a bunch of compartment configuration modes, you would need to select that configuration in the monitor exactly the same as you intended to use it in each field and job or it will be a problem that won’t let you proceed when you want to use it. You also still have to turn on or off meters as required for the job manually on a page in the monitor and on the toggle box because the job selection does not have any of the physical configuration authority or fingers. Which primary tube each meter delivers to is another physical selection and sometimes tank pressurization pairing.
Thanks for the reply Haystack. I had a chat with the Bourgault rep and it currently can't be done.

1) As far as calibrating products it would be no different than how it is currently done. Do initial calibration then do occasional recalibrations to confirm accuracy.

2) RE - compartment configuration modes. I'm running a 5 compartment tank with NH3. What I did is in setup create several different drill profiles for different crops. ( Wheat / Oats, Canola, Soybean / Peas ) In each profile I set up tank configurations, which meters are in use and if they go into the seed or fert run, whether 1 or 2 fans are used, whether NH3 is used and my sectional control timings based on the crop . By doing this I will avoid the need for making all these changes manually every time I switch crops. I simply select the crop specific drill profile and all these paramaters will be in that profile.

3) I think the only way I could have product and application rates prepopulated in a job is by creating a prescription file for each job. Not worth all the work of doing this if not doing VR and just using single rates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts