The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm not gonna argue the importance of good brakes, its nice to know they are there should you need them, but with a powershift transmission, i think the only time i use the brake is when im filling a truck, and even then its not necessary, just trying to shave a few seconds off the unload time. I sure wouldn't put hired help in a setup like that though, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
Simple question. We have a 1000bu grain cart on a 400hp 4WD. Brakes are very poor. How important is it to have good brakes?
Well the quick answer is very but if you have a tractor that by nature has poor brakes and can't be fixed you could scab by, as long as you will ALWAYS be on flat ground.
But the reality is safety alone should have you looking.:)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yer I would put brakes on the cart before better brakes on a 4WD tractor. You jam the brakes on in the tractor and all the weight comes off the back axle and the cart throws you into a jackknife if you're not on the ball

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
My guess is we cost someone some money, either fixing brakes or buy a different tractor
You are quite likely correct! Money well spent though.

One good thing about since MB made all the safeties mandatory on trucks is that the likelihood of encountering a truck with bad brakes is way down. Probably still a few farm tandems that should see the mechanic for some repairs...:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.