The Combine Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
After seeing this I can't help but wonder is there a 0 houred 44000 ish vin numbered 1480 out there?

I would absolutely love to see one if it exists!
Even the 8820 would be really cool just to see!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Most stuff on that sale is low hours
1992 John Deere 8560, CAH, 3 hyd., diff lock, 18.4-38 tires w/duals, 865 hrs
1988 John Deere 4450, CAH, quad range, 2 hyd., 3 pt., quick hitch, dual PTO, 11:00-16 front tires, 18.4-38 rear tires w/press steel duals, 1,462 hrs.
John Deere 950 2WD utility tractor, diesel, 3 pt., 72" deck, rear fenders, 27-8.5-15 front tires, 13.6-12-28 rear turf tires, 726 hrs.
1982 Chevrolet Scottsdale K10 reg. cab, long box, 6.2L diesel, automatic, shows 32,437 miles, brown

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
WOW that's amazing! Thinking some collectors will be in on this one. 8820 will go for $75,000. The 9600 around the same??

Oh man, I really do hate quoting myself, but wow am I awesome!!!!!!!!!:49::49::49::49:

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Oh man, I really do hate quoting myself, but wow am I awesome!!!!!!!!!:49::49::49::49:
Well I hate to rain on your happy dance, but like most of us, you didn't say US or Can and given you're north of the 49th like many of us, your 75k then puts you short of the mark lol. I said 100K+ for the 88 and less for the 96, well that 75K US in Can is 99311.25. that puts me 25K closer than you :)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Well I hate to rain on your happy dance, but like most of us, you didn't say US or Can and given you're north of the 49th like many of us, your 75k then puts you short of the mark lol. I said 100K+ for the 88 and less for the 96, well that 75K US in Can is 99311.25. that puts me 25K closer than you :)
Oh come on!!!! How do I know you weren't thinking US dollars, which puts you over, and if this was the Price Is Right, you know what that means!!!!! lol

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
If they went to the field you would think there is a lot better value for your money in the market right now for what was paid. Once some hours are put on the value will greatly decrease just like buying new.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
If you're talking about the 8820, I beg to differ. I think we view it through rose-colored glasses. The 7720 wasn't that much different from the 8820. I remember watching my dad fix holes in the clean grain elevator and various other wear surfaces that wore clear through the thin tin. My dad also wore out the pickup after just a few years and had to rebuild it. At least a couple of bearings failed every year, and belts broke, and it was quite a difficult job to replace them, given how many belts and chains were on that machine. I remember the cylinder taking pretty serious rock damage, requiring a rebuild. If I recall the 7720 cylinder was made of just stamped steel spider assemblies. Feederhouse tin wore through and the chains certainly didn't last longer than they do today.

In my mind that combine ran still ran forever, but if I'm honest, I recall that it was wore out after 7 or 8 seasons. Our current machines seem to wear out fast also, but they each do 2-3 times the work that the 7720 did. They are made of sheet steel that's at least double or triple the thickness of the 7720. I also haven't lost any bearings in several years now; probably about due for one to fail. Haven't had any major breakdowns in several years either, which used to be at least a once a season thing on the 7720. There's no question my current machines are more reliable than our 7720 ever was.

Perhaps the 8820 was a completely better machine.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I looked at the pics of those combines. They looked good for their age but was surprised how poor they looked. Some rust and looked as maybe the mice got to the wiring harness.

I've said this before, I'll chime in again. We ran 3 titans up until partway through harvest 2008 all close to or above 6000 engine hours. Only had one major mechanical failure (hydro) on one. Two I believe had the original AC pumps. Alternator issues until I started using Denso ones. So overall to me the top or close to the top for reliability of that era. I know some will argue, not gonna change my mind.
Downfalls would be running an 8820 in swathed crop in my mind. The draper header turned them into a better combine capacity wise. Wind was the real issue. Really a 9600 wasn't much capacity improvement in our country.

I've had a lot less maintenance with close to double the productivity with my STS'. STS a lot easier to work on. Wear items last way longer. I may eat my words but I'd rather run a 60/70 sts (close to 4000 eng. hrs. on my 9770)to 6000 hours than a 20 series.

About $85000.00 Can. new. If a farmer bought this to use, they overpaid.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts