The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to get set without breaking up cobs and filling up return on 760tt with 616 Deere corn head. 200 bushel corn 18 percent moisture 59 pound test wieght. Concave set at 15 to 25 . Cyl speed slow as it can go to 400 . Rotor to 500. Fan 1300 to 1500 . Sieves 8 to 11.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Is the cob breakage causing issue with tailings, or not completely threshing the kernels off? I suspect both but you are just seeing high tailings?

First, feel the cobs and ears of corn. Are they strong, or do they twist and feel spongy? Are there a lot of secondary ears with disease that are also weak? Might not be much you can do.

Before any change, I recommend windrowing what is coming out of the rotors. See how much loss there is. Compare how many kernas are left on the cob and how many are broken up. It is best to try to leave the cob in one piece so you can roll the kernels off. Tight concave and fast cylinder can break them. Too low of a corn head cross auger can cut them in half.

I recommend roundbar APS, wider concave, slower cylinder, and your tailings should lower. If not, more fan, tighter top sieve, wider on bottom.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Cobs seem firm and uniform. Not hard to shell. Most tailings are cob pieces
That's good. If your sure the cob breakage isn't causing kernels to stick to the cob and having rotor loss, your problem is easier to fix...just a cleaning issue. I have heard, roundbar APS from hhsparts.com can reduce cob breakage going to the sieves. Still, try the above settings tomorrow. Remember, if there are kernels left on the cob, it likely won't show as rotor loss because the kernels will remain on cob until ran through the chopper. Have to windrow to verify.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.