The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something here? I'm pretty optimistic most of the times, but these bred prices are way out there. Sold 22 cull cows for .68 cents, they averaged 1560, that's $1060 before deductions. I sat at the yards and watched a lot more cows sell for .60 than .68. Then I attend a sale where bred cows about 7 months in calf, weighing 1280, were selling for $2000. Cows were basically underfed and green for the length of calve in them. Then I attend a sale that fetches 2600 per cow? Bred heifers were in the 2000 to 3200 mark? I thought there was a feed shortage, and can someone with a sharper pencil explain to me how money can be made on a 2500 bred? Maybe I'm to old and missing something, but that's a long turn around to fetch a profit.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
People would rather have a fellow rancher end up with some $ instead of the government? I had to buy a lot of cows in the fall of 2015. They weren't cheap then. I'm still working on paying them off. Starting over at 37 wasn't the easiest thing I've done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We would sell cows for $2600 they are second, third, and fourth blacks and some white faces. sold our cow herd 5 years ago then missed them so kept all that years heifers and started over.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
.68 for culls? We'd kill for that here, .40 tops. Preg checked Tuesday, 22% open, 27 of 122, summer heat decimated me, one pasture with little shade took it the worst. Vet says most herds are 15-30%, one guy lost 33%.

Bred heifers $2000-2300 probably, calve late Feb early March.

Lost about 15 2-4 year olds, trying to find a spot for them and bred for 2020, at .40/lbs I won't loose as much running them bare.

·
Premium Member
5,150 Posts
Good used bred cows in this area are running in that 16-22 range, all dependent on quality and condition.Younger ones a bit higher. Always gonna have people who pay stupid for educated ones, not anything that ever concerns me, nice when the competition does things like that IMO.

I think what is more telling is how where I sell back a month ago, they was running a 90 cent spread on 5-600 pounder classes, that is very telling as to the difference in quality of cattle being presented. I still walked away with 12 a head for mine, but I was in the top ten percent of the sale, was many that were only taking home around 800...as they said, some guys need to update their cows and bulls both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts