The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow my brother and I are gonna road my 6600 home. Went out there today and fixed a leak in the steering line, changed the bearings on the cleaning screen shaft, replaced a bad idler pully, and freed the tensioners up so that they work properly.

The a/c isnt working exactly right and I know its just freon. Does anyone on here know how many pounds of freon the system holds? I dont want to get out there and not take enough. It cools at a low idle and when you rev up the suction side goes down to like 10psi. Thanks for any answers.

Any advice on how to road this thing will help too. My bro is gonna follow me with a warning beacon and flashers on the truck. Im learning that keeping it on a straight path is a little difficult. Thanks

Caleb

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You brought back some memories. My dad used to pickup a 1000 acres of swaths every year for a guy 70 miles west of us. My brother and I in our early teens used to drive the 6600 and 7700 there and back every year. They were both variable speed drives, and we would get them cruising pretty good down the hills with the clutch in. We didn't tell dad about this till later on in years. I thought they handled pretty good on the road.

I apologize for the lack of advice

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Kind of new I'd be dating myself. 1981 I was 12, first year running solo in the 6600 sidehill. But I had spent several hundred hours riding in the 95s and the 6600 before that first solo run. I was ready. Thought I had the world by the tail. Remember it vividly as it was the worst crop my dad had ever had before or since. I sure missed a lot of school from that point on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
caleb,, You say you fixed a leak in a steering line. It will steer better once the air is worked out of system. You did refill the oil tank didn't you? It doesn't take much of a leak to empty it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Bringing her home PICTURES!

Well we went out there this morning and checked everything over one more time. Added freon and it started cooling well and also added hydraulic oil. It was a gallon and a half low just from the steering leak. Cleaned the windows, turned on the flashers and hit the road. The total miles were 29 and it took us 1 hour and 45 minutes. I dont know what they normally burn in fuel but I added twenty gallons, that brought the gauge to half and it didnt move down a bit. Nice to see her sitting in the yard now. My neighbors think Im crazy for sure! Its nicely parked in the woods close to the garage so I can pull it on the concrete and work on it. Thanks for reading and I will keep everyone up to date on work progress on it. Over the next two years I plan on going from front to back and fixing any and all problems and a whole lot of bearing replacement just because. Too bad decals are no longer available otherwise I would repaint her and make her pretty again. Caleb

·
Registered
200 Posts
check with a sign shop, you should be able to get decals made for a decent price, and i believe some of the decals are still available from deere.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Isn't their a product that you spray on old faded but clean paint that will make it look kinda like new again?
Will a regular clear coat product do the trick?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I would put a good wax job on it and call it good thats a nice looking machine. what is it a 77 or 78 model

·
Registered
3 Posts
thats a good looking machine their brother. i was honored to be the follow car of briging her home. she is finally at home and has never looked so good. <ethan>

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the nice words brother, I was glad to have you here for a week. Maybe in December when Im between semesters you can come up here and we'll tear something apart on it and rebuild it!!!!!!!

Combiness, wait till you see where Ive got her parked! Ill take apicture this week and post it on here. We cleared a spot in the woods just big enough for it to fit and its kinda concealed from prying eyes. Also its in the shade due to the big trees overhead.

Caleb

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Sounds neat, Caleb. I love the way the 6600 blends into her background--just like any animal amid whatever habitat hides it best from predators or spies.

Green is a natural color and being so steeped in botany, it happens to be my favorite color, too. I love the hue of John Deere green, the color of many kinds of foliage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts