The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with broadcasting fertilizer in front of disc drills? Currently run a 43ft 1895 and thinking about switching to a 60ft 1890 because 43ft is getting to small. then mounting a broadcast kit on the front of the
1890 drill to apply our fertilizer. Man power is our biggest issue so we are trying to stay to a one pass seeding operation and keep a disc drill. Checked out the bourgault but don't think we have the ponies or enough extra hydraulics for one. We farm in SW sask. What's everyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Look into getting a 60ft Pillar Drill. One pass seeding. Disc opener with the fertilizer below and to the side of the seed. Where in the SW are you located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am close to assiniboia. Do you run a pillar drill and how do you like it? any trouble with hairpinning? how does it make out closing the seed furrow and how much soil does it move? I have sort of looked into them but not sure what do think of them. also how do they pull?

·
Registered
868 Posts
investing in broadcasting fertilizer without tillage longterm sounds like the worst investment ever.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i have a 60 foot disk drill. For canary we put a little n with the seed 10 pounds and then go in june and put on 30-40 pounds of n with a little s. Seems like a lot of people are going to fall or winter spreading of fert. Even some of the colony"s are looking at it. If you have clay soil you would be best to stick to the deere.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
investing in broadcasting fertilizer without tillage longterm sounds like the worst investment ever.
why would that be? We used to do it mind you we spread ammonium nitrate in front of one drill and 28-0-0 in front of another and it seemed to work well. It always rained shortly after though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ive wondered about doing a wet boom on and 1890, pretty much just a stainless steal pipe, between the rear wheels and closing wheels and stream jetting 28% on. that would keep it compact, use a ground or wheel driven pump. I already a 2000gal tank we pull behind our corn planter. thoughts, pros and cons?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I am close to assiniboia. Do you run a pillar drill and how do you like it? any trouble with hairpinning? how does it make out closing the seed furrow and how much soil does it move? I have sort of looked into them but not sure what do think of them. also how do they pull?
I run a pillar drill. I like it. I don't have to worry about seeding into tall stubble or high trash areas. I like seeding at 6.5 mph. Placing my fertilizer deeper I believe leads to less N loss. One blend of fertilizer is easier to manage than two. Seeding pulses down the disc works really well. You don't have to run the drill in the ground as deep.

When seeding out the hoe you can't hairpin. You can seed later in the evening and earlier in the morning. Rain and dew don't slow me down.

As for closing the trench it doesn't in high clay soils. You can contact pillar for a demo. They are working on different scrapers and packers to make it work better.

There are YouTube videos which explain things well. And yes a 70 foot drill should be in the field come spring.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ive wondered about doing a wet boom on and 1890, pretty much just a stainless steal pipe, between the rear wheels and closing wheels and stream jetting 28% on. that would keep it compact, use a ground or wheel driven pump. I already a 2000gal tank we pull behind our corn planter. thoughts, pros and cons?
I'm in the same situation as you are, I've been trying to make it a one pass operation but it still comes back to incorporating the N to reduce losses. What you surgested will work as long as rain is coming,another thing to think about is the 28 sticking to the cart tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think itd be and issue sticking to the tires. id like a tbt air cart and put the liquid cart behind the drill. maybe some n stabilizer to postpone some n loss. I cant say itd be a one pass cause I like to streambar my wheat later on. but itd keep a floater off the field. placement in the ground or incorporation is by far better but it does ad another pass which is more fuel, time, wear and tare, and moisture loss. this is if your not running an 1895, mrb, pillar, or dual shoot hoe drill.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like my Pillar openers on 45 ft neverpin frame for those reasons too.
Pillar frame is top notch, quicker in raising and lowering tool. Stronger build too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the pillar intruiges me. id like to see one run some time but I don't think theres one very close to me. didnt case try to do something similar or did someone have a half hoe opener for their disk drill? how does that 45ft pull? as far as soil, we have a bit of everything, from mellow black to concrete clay, mud and dust in the same fields most of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
When I had a Khart disc drill i attached stainless steel tubes directly behind edge of disc to apply 28-0-0. Most of it mixed with soil but some of it was splashed on straw and then the straw would fling it onto drill making drill a mess after a few acres. I had decent crops doing it that way but then again rain usually came not to far behind seeding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with broadcasting fertilizer in front of disc drills? Currently run a 43ft 1895 and thinking about switching to a 60ft 1890 because 43ft is getting to small. then mounting a broadcast kit on the front of the
1890 drill to apply our fertilizer. Man power is our biggest issue so we are trying to stay to a one pass seeding operation and keep a disc drill. Checked out the bourgault but don't think we have the ponies or enough extra hydraulics for one. We farm in SW sask. What's everyone's thoughts?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts