The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 20.8R38 straddle row duals on my '03 9650W. The left inside dual broke the center out last night. Is this a common issue? I'm wondering about the life of a used rim, vs buying a new one. No dealers are open yet, but I figure a new one will be next week, where a salvage one could be here by this afternoon.

This is a machine with only 1500 hours, but it does have mauer extensions for 300 bu capacity.

Does anyone weld in new stronger centers?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
One of my neighbors has had problems with the rims cracking on his 8820, but I don't think it's completely broke out before. He welded more steel to the center of the rim to strengthen it; I wish I had a picture of it.

He was also told to run the outer duals about half the pressure of the inners. I've never heard of this before, but a couple weeks ago I finally noticed the sticker on the rims on our 2388 saying the same thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That happened to us on a leased 9660STS last season. The company we lease from said that they have trouble with guys not putting the duals on which causes too much weight when the extensions are out.

As far as welding, I heard it both ways. The leasing company welds theirs and has no problem with it. However, someone at our Deere dealership said that it's a big no-no.

I guess as far as I would go, if I was fairly confident that the used rim hadn't been overloaded, I'd go that way. But how do you know? Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts