The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i said i would report back when i asked the question regarding why my chaffer sieve was breaking near the adjusters at the back. On investigation we found qiute a few 2188 and 2388 were breaking the sieve in the same place. We found that the sieve box was just hitting on the back axle mount and the combines that weren't breaking theirs had an exta spacer put in on both sides to hold the axle mount back about 20mm so there is more clearance for the sieve box underneath. I was wondering if any other people have found this problem??

·
Registered
475 Posts
We've broken 2 top sieves in 10 harvests. The first one went at about 500 hrs, the second one at 1600 hrs. Both seemed to have been caused by bad bushings on the shoe arms. I've never noticed it hitting the axle mount. When the bushings go south they hit the end of the slot on the combine body and the sieve cracks shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How often should those bushings be changed? I would like to change them before breaking a sieve. My first set went to 1700hrs on my 1688. I welded the sieve and replaced the bushings. Replaced the sieves at about 2300 hrs. Iam now at 3000 hrs and wondering if I should replace those bushings now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem with your broken sieve is the chaffer assy and shoe assy are hitting inside of the combine. The chaffer rails are hitting the front of the combine on the forward stroke and hitting the auger bed corners on the back stroke. The shoe assy is hitting the tailings auger top cover on the forward stroke and hitting the rear frame [steering axle support assy] on the back stroke. There are other contact points on the cast bearing supports and mounting bolts. Broken chaffer sieves, rails, bolts or frequent bushing failure is very common on these combines. I have a cleaning system repair kit for these problems. The CSR Kit moves the steering support back 3/4", has a rubber flap that goes under the shoe to stop tailings/air loose and shows all of the contact points that need to be removed. I have not seen any new combines with a spacer at the steering support assy, if there are I have a patent on my kit and CIH could have a problem. Contact me [Gordon] at 701-755-3326 or 701-629-1469. Brochure at www.csrkit.com. The csrkit costs $270.00 plus shipping and handling. Farmers are having the same problems in England, Australia and Brazil. Thank you Gordon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think Heatland has a good idea, and am thinking of fitting one of his kits somtime, just worries me how to drill the chassis to move back the axle.
I would certainly change your bushings, especially the main 4. Also when tightening make sure the sieve carrier is central in the machine. Tighten the bolts in the middle of the stroke and leave in the middle when stood for a long time. I use locktite to stop nuts coming undone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts