The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 20 acres of buckwheat I grew. Looks great. Getting close to harvest time. I'm in central Ohio. The guy that said he would buy it all only wants 5 thousand lbs. anyone know who I can sell the rest to? Thanks! New to this. Phone number and name would be great

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I don't know who would be the local buyers for your area, but there is a mill in Minnesota (Minn-Dak) and Burkett Mills out of upstate NY that both buy in large quantities. If you contact them (I don't have contacts handy, but you should be able to Google a ph number) they should be able to tell you who they buy from in your area. This is the first year since 1986 I haven't grown any so the price should be going up. Demand for buckwheat is good this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I combine when all the flowers are off? There iare a lot of black seeds but still plenty of white flowers

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Depends on the year and how susceptible you are to high winds. Up here the frost normally takes care of any late flowers about the 3rd week of September. If wind isn't an issue, I would wait until it starts to take on that reddish look in the straw, it's done flowering and most of the seed is turning black. You will likely lose a few of those early ones off the top, but it will (if you have moisture) be producing more on the bottom. I don't have any experience with threshing the crop this early in the season, but I would assume it should still be ripening off rather than staying green and flowering indefinitely. What variety are you growing?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If you are a first time grower, don't put green straw through your machine or you'll be knocking out walkers and plugging beaters. I always swathed mine and if the straw was green when I cut it, I expected it to lay in the swath for 10 to 14 days.

·
Registered
653 Posts
How did your buckwheat turn out for you? Also, do any of you guys have any experience spraying buckwheat with roundup in mid to late august to speed up drying? I've usually swathed in september but i find that it gets too late and it takes forever to dry down, if it does at all even. I'm in eastern Ont

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
No no no no no.

Careful putting roundup on it! Some buyers won't accept it. Phone your buyers first, and find out...

If you have a swather your best bet is to lay it in a swath and let it naturally dry down... Makes combining so much easier too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts