The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking into purchasing an older planter and retrofitting it for planting canola. Any suggestions, ideas, planter models, experience, would be greatly appreciated. I’m not against spending money if it will pay, but I’m not looking to sink a pile of money into this. Probably no more than 50k, unless someone can convince me otherwise. Would only be planting about 1000 Ac of canola annually. Maybe rent it out to the neighbours if it works well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Id try for a 1790 just for the ease of the ccs system, 1000 acres if canola justifies more than 50 k imo buy jt good buy it once

·
Registered
550 Posts
My suggestion of the 1780 is they are a lot simpler and generally cheaper than the 1790. CCS is nice for soybeans where you do 80 acres on a fill.

CCS can cause a lot of headaches, especially for guys who are not familiar with planters. They also add a lot of expense. Nozzle inserts, mini-hopper boots and screens add up quick as opposed to just a disk and knockout wheel.

I ran a 1780 for 8 years before going to the 1790, if all I was doing was canola I would never bother with the 1790. The CCS is the preferred machine for corn and soybeans. Yes it's a bit of a pain filling individual boxes when you have to weigh a bag across 3 or 4 rows but it wasn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd suggest a late 90's Deere 1780 on 15" rows.
on these older Deere planters, what would need done to rebuild each row (assuming I buy an older unit that is in need of an overhaul) and what would be needed to convert to canola?

how many rows were the 1780s built with on 15”? I think I would rather have a bit wider older unit, opposed to a newer narrower unit. Cost of overhaul per row would come into play here as well.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Opener disks, scrapers, gauge wheel arms and the closing wheel frame bushings. There are aftermarket solutions for the gauge wheel arms and closing wheel frame bushings but I have no experience with them.

The gauge wheels and closing wheels might be wore out.

Ours was a 31 row on 15" rows, 38.75 feet wide.

Then for canola you'd need the seed disk, obviously I'd recommend the www.rrvcanoladisk.com but that's the disk I came up with so I'm biased, haha. Then the knockout wheel, wear strip and seed tube insert.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Opener disks, scrapers, gauge wheel arms and the closing wheel frame bushings. There are aftermarket solutions for the gauge wheel arms and closing wheel frame bushings but I have no experience with them.

The gauge wheels and closing wheels might be wore out.

Ours was a 31 row on 15" rows, 38.75 feet wide.

Then for canola you'd need the seed disk, obviously I'd recommend the www.rrvcanoladisk.com but that's the disk I came up with so I'm biased, haha. Then the knockout wheel, wear strip and seed tube insert.
Thanks for the insight Jeff.

What are guys doing for starter fertilizer, I assume liquid phos would be the ideal set up?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Some guys do some liquid, I've never done any starter and crops have been fine. We just float everything on with a valmar and harrow or cultivate it in.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had the same thought a while ago. I was thinking a split row unit so I could do corn for the local dairies, and seed canola for myself and maybe some other family members. There isn't much of a selection of in my area, but I did go look at a couple of planters and there is a lot of moving parts to wear out on one of those. The ones I looked at were priced in the 45-60 thousand range, and they needed lots of work. I figured if this venture was going to be a success, I needed to double my budget, and buy something newer, or be prepared to rebuild all of the ground engaging bits and pivot point on the planter. All and all, after talking with some of the other guys who do custom work in the area, I decided against the idea. Apparently, the some of the dairy guys were like horse people when it comes to buying hay. you know a pain in the donkey

·
Registered
711 Posts
Id second the rrv disc, have had it for 6 planting seasons and its the best money spend on roi.
Still like the ccs system better than box but then again we do more soys and i run the drill alone.
When we bought our planter when the dollar was par. It was hughe money to buy the db60 over a 1790 but recouped that money quickly with seed savings and better crops imo.
Purchasing the whole planter setup for a 47 row was a good chunk of cash but so is telling the dealer i only need half the amount of canola seed bags.
Dont forget you have to know a planter before planting canola do your research theres lots too it i found. But once you have it figured out you'll like it but it takes patience.
This year we reseeded a bit of canola and you can barely tell where we did it the thin spots filled in nicely and the other stuff was never bothered by the planter going in between the rows. Only the headlands didnt like the track tractor turning.
My dad never likes to watch me switch the planter from soys to canola when its nice seeding weather out but we seeded 2 days after having 2 inches of rain.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We just got into a 31 row 1780 this spring. Had it on our yard from the states for well under 30k, did some work on it (mainly wiring harnesses/electronics) and were rolling for just over 40k plus some frustration. We run less acres than you want to do and it will pay for itself pretty quickly by our numbers. We got one with hydraulic drive (variable rate) and pneumatic down force, both of which are really nice to use but cause more headaches and cost a lot more to get going with monitors/harnesses/airlines/valves etc. A simple ground drive unit with spring down force would be just fine for canola and you could be rolling for $30-35k. Individual boxes work fantastic for canola, we just use a small feed scoop and walk along with the bag putting the same number of scoops in each box. Can't beat the simplicity of a box planter either: no ccs fans, no lines to plug, easy clean-out, even weight distribution, absolutely no chance of seed damage. All used planters will need some work but if a planter looks like it needs a total overhaul just move on, lots of planters out there to choose from. Replacing a few worn pieces will run between $100-200 per row. Total rebuilds can easily be $500+ per row. I'll also recommend the RRV canola system, super easy to install/use and very accurate. Top notch customer support too, give them a call and ask away if you're new to planters like we were.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I also would recommend a 1780 but the first 1790s could be had for around 50k. You'll definitely want a 16/31 for those acres. Have never personally done canola with my 1790 but if I did, and I've thought about it, I would also go with the parts from RRV. Haukos Bros in Glencoe, MN usually keeps a good selection of planters on hand and always has inventory moving. They usually rebuild them to be field ready.

I have no affiliation with either company mentioned other than the fact our last 2 planters came from Haukos and were both a great experience. With the 2nd planter bought over technology, and never saw in person until it was delivered.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What kind of horse power would I need to pull a unit like this with 31 rows? Rolling land, not really considered hilly.
I have an Elmer’s toolbar with two 12 row 22” JD 1730 planters. I pull it with an MT855B because it’s the only tractor I have with a 3 pt hitch. Real overkill I know but it loafs around at 1500 rpm and maybe 20-25% load. This is on some pretty extreme hills. They pull easy but this unit has a lot of weight on the 3 pt in transport.

·
Registered
548 Posts
What you guys with a planter do to control flea beetles in canola ?
Cause that’s my biggest problem now , and I can see with two lbs that’s even more concerning.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts