The Combine Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
What you guys with a planter do to control flea beetles in canola ?
Cause that’s my biggest problem now , and I can see with two lbs that’s even more concerning.
nothing, we never had such little issues with flea beetles since we started planting. The even emergence makes it way easier, if we see active fleabeetles on headlands we spray outside round and the ditch with matador.
This year was the first year we had to reseed canola because of flea beetles. We had 7 inches of rain in 4 hours and we couldn't get on the fields for 4 days and the canola struggled with crusting and we were left with less than 1 plants per square meter just completely gone.
Did we have to reseed because we used a planter? no we reseeded 320 acres out of 900 acres of canola.
most of our neighbors reseeded all their canola or minimum half.
I think planters with their faster emergence have less fleabeetle issues because the seed treatment still works when the plant comes out of the ground. (disc drill set up good could achieve almost as good as an emergence i'd think).

we plant 180.000-225.000 plants an acre and we don't use limiderm, we had some this year because I couldn't get the seedsize i wanted because small seed was non treated so decided to switch 300 acres to lumiderm, and half of that we had to reseed as well. Last few years we didn't use any and didn't have to spray

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've tended to seed a little later when using a planter. Warmer days means the canola grows faster. But it still seems like it takes forever to take off. Usually shoot for 240-250,000 plants.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I’m assuming everyone is using a 15” planter?

I have a 24 row 22” that I use for corn but I’m thinking it would be too wide of row spacing for canola.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I'm pretty sure most guys use 20 or 22" for canola in my area. Fills in pretty well, but the primary goal here is better pollination for seed production, so maybe not applicable to other areas.

·
Registered
550 Posts
What kind of horse power would I need to pull a unit like this with 31 rows? Rolling land, not really considered hilly.
We pulled ours with an 8300 and it had lots of extra power. An 8100 would probably work fine. Probably some bigger 7000's would work too.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts